My dictionary says that "ездить" is the indeterminate of "ехать" which is to ride. The dictionary then says that "водить" is to operate. Can someone explain the difference to me and give some examples of when to use each.

Спасибо Большое

Водить (машину) typically means having skills of a driver (plus a driver's license). It doesn't necessarily mean the person owns a car.

Я вожу машину. I can drive a car.

Ездить (на машине) can either specify someone's usual type of transportation (driving or not) or emphasize their car ownership:

Он ездит на машине (а не на метро; возможно, и не сам водит).

Он ездит на Порше. (У него свой Порш.) He drives a Porsche.

"Порше" не склоняется и всегда заканчивается на "е". – n0rd Mar 11 '19 at 18:21
  • @n0rd +1. Склоняемая форма "Поршак" :) – Alexander Mar 11 '19 at 19:08

ехать/ездить - to ride (regardless of being a passenger or the driver)

водить - to drive (being the driver)

To ride/move in a car - Ехать/ездить на машине

To drive a car - Вести/водить машину / Управлять машиной

Ездить на машине means you can be a passenger or a driver. When you use водить, you can be only a driver. For a driver both words are synonymous.Водить also underlines the process of operating the car.

Он водит машину хорошо.(Он ездит хорошо sounds a bit weird, but it can be used in colloquial speech )

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.