In Russian, I know there is a word similar to "Заткнись" but it is used for a group of people instead of just one person. What is it?

• Dear Kэли , while this is not quite an answer to your question, you may find this info somewhat pertinent. The word "Заткнись" has a very offensive synonym "Завали ебало". This is not simply conversational or even rude; this is plainy offensive. You may use it only if it is in your plans to provoke a fight. – Michael_1812 Mar 20 '19 at 23:37

Заткни́тесь.

Similar examples:

• Учи́сь - учи́тесь
  • Дери́сь - дери́тесь
  • Кати́сь - кати́тесь

I.e. -те- goes in between the ending (-и) and the posrfix (-сь).

When -сь is preceded by a consonant (including й), it becomes -ся:

• Оста́нься - оста́ньтесь
  • (Не) бо́йся - (не) бо́йтесь
  • Отметься - отметьтесь

If you wish to use the same word in plural, you actually have two variants.Both are rude.

Заткнитесь! (imperative plural ) and А ну, заткнулись!(past plural used for imperative )

But there's still a great variety of synonyms, like замолкли/замолкните,заглохли, etc. My favourite one is Кончай базар!(used in a singular imperative, but addressed to a group)

• Is it actually past? It could as well be subjunctive with "бы" dropped. – Joker_vD Mar 15 '19 at 18:00
  • Joker_vD , very formally you are correct: it looks like the past tense. In reality, it is an order -- and a pretty rude one. And yes, it is against the rules of grammar. – Michael_1812 Mar 18 '19 at 20:45

Welcome to Russian learners!

It is "Заткнитесь".

• vicodin, Welcome to the Russian Language site! – Ivan Olshansky Mar 15 '19 at 13:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.