What would be the best word to describe what a педант does?

In the following list there are some people along with the things normally do:

Мазохист занимается мазохизмом.
Казуист занимается казуистикой.
Альпинист занимается альпиизмом.
Пацифист занимается пацифизмом.
Ростовщик занимается ростовщичеством.
Бизмесмен занимается бизнесом.

Педант занимается ... ?

Педант предаётся педантизму, точности, аккуратности.

Педант практикует педантизм, точность, аккуратность.

Нельзя использовать здесь слово занимается, поскольку педант - это не занятие, не профессия, не род деятельности, педанты не объединяются в клубы, цеха, гильдии, это склад характера, особенность личности, склонность. Невозможно заниматься педантизмом, это всё равно, что сказать, что неряха занимается неряшливостью, или честный человек занимается честностью.

You cannot use the word занимается here, because a pedant is not a profession, not a trade, not an occupation, pedants do not have their clubs, guilds, it is a character trend, a peculiarity of personality, a tendency. It is impossible to be engaged in pedantry, it is like saying that a slob is engaged in sloppiness, or an honest man is engaged in honesty.

But what about "Ты занимаешься формализмом" or "Ты занимаешься казуистикой"? As far as I know, neither формалист, nor a казуист is a trade, occupation or a profession, isn't it? – brilliant Feb 10 '13 at 14:23
  • @brilliant - Формализм and казуистика have to do sometheng with science, with philosophy, for example. So, I think, "Ты занимаешься формализмом" and "Ты занимаешься казуистикой" refer to that, to the interpretation of facts, dealing with information, while педантизм refers to habits of accuracy in general, like shining boots or taking care of one's nails. – Yellow Sky Feb 10 '13 at 15:24
    @brilliant: формализм and казуистика in you examples are practices (формализм probably being confused with формалистика). I haven't understood пацифист занимается пацифизмом in you example though: how exactly does one actively practice pacifism? I would say пацифист придерживается принципов пацифизма or пацифист исповедует пацифизм. – Quassnoi Feb 10 '13 at 19:26
    No, you can practice. Just you cannot use 'занимается ...'. Another example: "Умница умничает", not "занимается умничеством". – revoua Feb 11 '13 at 3:06
    @revoua: did you mean умник? Also, I can imagine не занимайся умничаньем, though now that we have a shorter verb не умничай that would sound pretty ostentatious. – Quassnoi Feb 11 '13 at 9:34
Педант педантствует.  

Means nit-picking.

Welcome to Russian.SE. While your answer provides useful contribution, short one- or two-line answers are generally discouraged. Try to incorporate more sources or examples (hint: search the corpus for appropriate use in a reputable text). – theUg Feb 10 '13 at 15:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.