All Russian verbs ending in -оть I can think of had been subject to the metathesis or the liquids and did not have this ending in Proto-Slavic:

бороть (CS брати) < *барти (cf. брань)

колоть (CS клати) < *калти (cf. заклание)

молоть (CS млѣти) < *мелти

полоть (CS плѣти) < *пелти

пороть (CS прати) < *порти

Are there verbs that did have this ending in PS or CS?

• I'm afraid you have enumerated all the Russian verbs in -оть, and there were absolutely no verbs in -оти in OS.
    – Yellow Sky
    Feb 12, 2013 at 19:29
  • @YellowSky: that's what I thought too, just wanted to confirm (preferably with a source)
    – Quassnoi
    Feb 12, 2013 at 19:59

3 Answers 3

According to the reverse Russian dictionary, there are no Russian verbs ending in -оть, other than those listed in the question.

Thus, the answer is no.

That is, all Russian verbs ending in -оть have been subject to the metathesis of the liquids, and there are no Russian verbs that inherited that ending (оть/оти) from PS.

What kind of examples are you interested in? There are 78 words ending in -оть in the dictionary (lines 5 to 82), and they are either derivatives of the verbs listed by @Quassnoi (e.g. обмолоть, сполоть, перепороть), or belong to other lexical categories (перхоть, деготь, хоть, вплоть etc.) Oct 20, 2013 at 6:39

Actually, none of the CS or PS verbs could have -оть in its endings, because -оть is a MR ending.

By the way, you have missed the dialect form of надоть.

How about (по)бороть/перебороть?

It's a derivative of бороть mentioned in the question.
    – Quassnoi
    Aug 10, 2013 at 12:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.