Should I write Два балкона находятся у нас в квартире or Два балкона находятся в нашем квартире I am trying to write that we have two balconies on our flat.

Квартира is feminine so нашей, not нашем. – Sergey Slepov May 1 at 14:27
  • a balcony cannot obtain (находиться) in(side) an apartment, because after all it's situated outside of it, so in the worst case one may say Наша квартира имеет два балкона as in English, but i cosign idiomatic variants suggested by Sandra – Баян Купи-ка May 1 at 15:25
  • @БаянКупи-ка obtain (находиться) I know it's not relevant to the question but that's a weird usage of 'obtain'. :) What dictionary gave you that? – tum_ May 1 at 22:28
  • @tum_ i know that to obtain is a higher register synonym of to exist, and i'm not aware of a good English equivalent to the Russian находиться in this context, that's why i opted for it, in case you are, please share – Баян Купи-ка May 2 at 6:26
  • @БаянКупи-ка (with a risk to get banned for an unrelated chat) "Два балкона находятся у нас в квартире" - тут сложно говорить о контексте, так как по-русски так попросту не говорят, но если бы это были не "балконы в квартире", а что-то более приемлемое, то по-английски использовались бы обороты 'there are', 'we have', 'can be found', (с натяжкой) 'are situated'. Мне английский тоже не родной, и о существовании obtain (intransitive) я до вчерашнего дня и не подозревал :) Но меня чем-то зацепило такое употребление, что, собственно, и сподвигло написать комментарий... – tum_ May 2 at 7:27

Both options are fine, except that one small grammar error has to be corrected:

Два балкона находятся у нас в квартире.

Два балкона находятся в нашей квартире.

As a native speaker, I would say simpler:

У нас в квартире два балкона.

Or: В нашей квартире два балкона.

Or: У нас два балкона.

Belonging is transitive so either form will do.

"находиться" can be roughly translated as "to be located" or "to lie" (as in London is located in England), so it's an awkward word choice for your case. It would be a fine choice if you wanted to talk about the actual location of the balconies rather than the mere presence:

С левой стороны находятся два балкона. - Two balconies are located on the left side.

In your case it's best to use a form of "иметь" (as in "Наша квартира имеет два балкона") or "быть" (e.g. "В нашей квартире [есть] два балкона).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.