Is there a term for driving and listening to music with no destination just to drive listening to music? Is there a specific term to drive and listen to music at night? Is there a term when a large group of cars cruise together mob or civilian?

And what would be the English term for exactly the same activity? :)
    – shabunc
    May 7 '19 at 5:58
    or any other language except English?
    – alexsms
    May 7 '19 at 8:06

Is there a term when a large group of cars cruise together mob or civilian?

In the formal and official context the term is "автоколонна". It is an organized group of buses / trucks / cars / military vehicles, accompanied by the police. This word is, e.g., for moving large group of workers from one site to another, or transporting a large group of schoolchildren to their summer camp. A motorcade. It's definitely not for "driving with no particular destination listening to music".

For informal context the term is "покатушка". This word is often used when a large group of people go biking, cycling, or roller skating. But there are examples when it's used in the context of a group driving their cars around for pleasure, for example, a group of off-road fans driving to a particularly attractive dirt hole.

never heard покатушка, probably it's biker(cycler) jargon, but the general population may not know it
    – alexsms
    May 7 '19 at 8:08
  • @alexsms: Can't say for sure, but it certainly appears in an official dictionary. And it seems that the dictionary suggests pluralia tantum.
    – Igor G
    May 7 '19 at 8:34
  • @alexsms I've personally heard it a lot.
    – shabunc
    May 7 '19 at 8:51
  • i see, my guess is that it's slang among car, bike enthusiasts
    – alexsms
    May 7 '19 at 8:51
    "покатушки" - sounds rather childish\girlish too.
    – tum_
    May 7 '19 at 14:14

I don't know any particular exact word for this. However if someone have asked me to describe this in Russian I'd rather used something like:

Кружить по району без дела и слушать музыку.

or

Просто кататься и слушать музыку.

There's no verb like "слоняться" or "бродить [без дела]" but for driving, so this is the closest I can think of.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.