In conversation, I just said:

Почему-то у меня это вылетело из головы, а у нее и подавно... Хорошо, что у меня в памяти все воскресло вовремя!

The context of the conversation was: We've each been so busy lately that it completely slipped our minds that we were expecting a visitor later on this afternoon.

In hindsight, I get the impression that the three consecutive "у меня/нее" stylistically leave something to be desired, but I can't figure out how to work round that without making the sentence ambiguous.

How can this idea be effectively paraphrased without repeating the "у + pronoun"?

• Because in this particular case one person is a male and the other is a female, you can drop it altogether and go with "хорошо что вовремя [всё] вспомнил".
    – AR.
    Jun 28, 2019 at 5:48
    you are wrong - it's completely fine to be repetitive in that way.
    – shabunc
    Jun 28, 2019 at 6:56

2 Answers 2

The first sentence sounds good as is (a possible version of its second part: ... не говоря уже о ней.) The second sentence can be changed into:

Хорошо, что я вовремя всё вспомнил!

Хорошо, что всё вспомнилось в нужный момент!

This repetition is not that bad, especially in spoken language. Russians do like repeating. There is even a manner of speech called "beads", which is broadly used in church (and Stalin was fond of it):

Мы пойдём на рыбалку. На рыбалку мы пойдём с утра. На рыбалку мы пойдём на речку. На речку мы пойдём втроём ...

But if you still want to avoid repeating, you may just use names or other designations:

Почему-то у меня это вылетело из головы, а у Лены и подавно... Хорошо, что я вспомнил вовремя!

P.S. "у меня в памяти все воскресло" is too dramatic for casual situations, it is better to use "у меня в памяти все всплыло".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.