Just a simple question as I am not sure of the right form. What is the Russian diminutive of mouse? мышонок ?

Just wondering why you've decided that ш will mutate to ж? – shabunc Jul 4 '19 at 20:57
  • Simply by mistake – Oliver Jul 4 '19 at 20:59
  • Eastern slavic languages have consonant mutation in some words/roots, but it's like к-ч-ц, г-ж-з, х-ш-с. – user28434 Jul 5 '19 at 8:23

Well, "мышонок" is a baby mouse so you were close, but strictly speaking diminutive is мышка which is a small mouse.

@Oliver мышка because in Russian a mouse defaults to feminine - мышь – Баян Купи-ка Jul 4 '19 at 21:20
    The answer is perfectly correct, but I'd like to add that it is a quite common reference to a beloved woman: "мышка моя". Very similar to "киса"(means кошка, кошечка), which is very popular amongst young men. – spbnative Jul 5 '19 at 4:58

There are several diminutive forms in the Russian language, like in Spanish.

Yes, the first of diminutive for mouse is мышка (small mouse), but there are possibly some other forms with gradually progressing grades of diminutive (but I think they are much rarely used for mouse itself), for example - мышенька (very small mouse) and мышечка (also very small mouse, rarely used but possible).

• мышулька, мышулечка, мышуленька – Баян Купи-ка Jul 6 '19 at 10:16
  • Oh, yes!! There are a lot of forms in Russian!! – Peter Nazarenko Jul 6 '19 at 10:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.