I believe in Russia, a cloakroom is known as Garderobe or раздевалка.

However, if I were to used it in a gallery - what should it be called?

Or what should I call a room where they come and pick up their stuff?

Thank you so much for your time..


Гардероб is the correct term. Раздевалка is a changing room, like at a swimming pool.

  • 1
    thank you! can Гардероб be used as a "Pickup your stuff/belonging" area? thanks – Kit Sithinun Aug 19 '19 at 9:52
  • 1
    @Kit Sithinun for your purposes гардероб is OK, in раздевалка people completely change their outfit, dress down to their underwear or almost so (except in schools), not just take off and leave the outer clothing... another maybe a more fitting term is гардеробная, because in a гардероб there's usually a person who accepts and hands out clothing, what you describe seems like a self service room with lockers or the like – Баян Купи-ка Aug 19 '19 at 10:57
  • 1
    @БаянКупи-ка Thank you - its not self-service - there will be someone who hand you the item. Its pretty much a gallery and someone will hand you your stuff – Kit Sithinun Aug 19 '19 at 11:43
  • @Kit Sithinun i see, then гардероб – Баян Купи-ка Aug 19 '19 at 11:52
  • 1
    Yep, like the one in theatres or nightclubs where you can hand in your coat or bag for storage, sometimes for a fee. – Curiosity Aug 19 '19 at 14:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.