"Рассчитывать", "подсчитывать", what is the difference ? I tried to distinguish them with their roots (раз- out in all directions and под- approach; coming "up to") but even then, they still both translate as "count"/"count on" to me.

Both verbs can be translated as "to count" or to "calculate", but "подсчитывать" is closer to count some finite amount of items - when, for instance, one is counting the number of shells, it's "подсчитать количество ракушек" and never "рассчитать". When it's about more complicated calculations, it's usually "рассчитывать"/"раcсчитать", like in "рассчитать, c какой скоростью нужно бросить камень" - "подсчитать" here will sound unnatural.

Also, only "рассчитывать" can be used in a meaning similar to "you can count on me" (ты можешь рассчитывать на меня").

"Рассчитывать" has two meanings. First is "to rely" or "will expect to" or "to expect" as "рассчитывать на что-то (на кого-то)". Second meaning is not about counting but about calculation. "Подсчитывать" mainly about very simple arithmetic.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.