"Об" is followed by prepositional case, and according to this page, feminine nouns ending with "я" in prepositional should end with "е".

That said, it shouldn't be "об Англии" but rather "об Англие". What do I miss?

• please clarify why in you opinion it should end with "и". Providing a link is not enough, question supposed to be self-sufficient to a certain level. – shabunc Mar 22 at 17:30
  • @shabunc , I said it shouldn't end with "и", because in prepositional case, it says Replace “я” with “е” However or this word, it is not following up the rules. I sent the link as the list of rules, and none of the rules clarifies its structure. So I am looking for why? – HOY Mar 22 at 17:49
  • I closed your question because it was not clear enough, I've edited it to give an idea of what I meant so that next time it would be clearer to you. Once again, question supposed to be self-sufficient, any link can get stale. – shabunc Mar 22 at 18:11

The resource you were referring to oversimplified things too much. Words ending with "ь", "ия", "ие", "ий" end with "и" in prepositional, so "о речи", "о Франции", "о знамении" and "об аграрии".

I recommend you to refer to wiktionary whenever you have doubts - Russian section always comes with declensions, with "Англия" being no exception to that rule.

|improve this answer|||||
  • thnx, removed unnecessary comments. Fyi. – HOY Mar 22 at 19:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.