votes

I asked this question in the Unix & Linux community, where I think it is on-topic but nobody who knows noticed (and answered) it, so I am repeating it here, although I fear it may be off-topic, but at least someone who knows will probably notice!

I use KDE and have enabled the Russian keyboard layout. This works fine except that I see no opportunity to add accents to vowels. Is this in fact possible? I wish to use them in applications such as Kate (which uses Unicode/UTF-8 for my document), to mark accented syllables to aid my pronunciation. The help for System Settings - Keyboard talks about levels of keys, but does not say what that means.

I would have expected there to be a dead key for the accent, but cannot find one. If necessary I would be prepared to edit configuration files, but it seems to me unlikely that that would be necessary.

I have my keyboard model set to generic 101-key PC,and my keyboard is a Dell model SK-8115, attached via USB to an Acer laptop. My Linux is Open Suse Leap 15.0 with the latest updates.

That said, I see that the question: “Does anyone know of a simpler way to add accents to Cyrillic vowels than what is typically found online?” is regarded as on-topic and is very close to what I ask, except that is is for MS Windows rather than Linux. I shall post this now, and then see if I can solve my problem with an approach similar to that in the answers to that question.

• Copy from the character map to get a combining accent: а + ́ = а́, so that seems to produce the desired image, but it is two characters rather than one. Also, I would much rather use a key combination than copy-paste.
    – PJTraill
    Apr 10 '20 at 20:29
  • Looked at Ilya Birman's typography layout, but it seems to be only for Apple or MS Windows (and my Russian is not yet good enough to understand much of what it says). The Windows version uses a DLL, so I suspect that means it does not work except, possibly, in Wine.
    – PJTraill
    Apr 10 '20 at 20:49
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this is not a question about Russian language
    – shabunc
    Apr 10 '20 at 21:53
    @snabunc: Why is it off-topic if the linked question (the same for Windows) was considered on-topic? (And attracted several useful answers!)
    – PJTraill
    Apr 10 '20 at 21:55
  • Hi! You asking a very valid question an honest answer to which is that question is also off-topic, we've just missed it, so I converted it to wiki. The most relevant place I can imagine asking this is Language Learners.
    – shabunc
    Apr 10 '20 at 22:14