What is the Russian word that sounds like "bleen" that is a mild swear word. Ben Rich (Bald and Bankrupt) suggest it translates to "bloody hell".

It is said 6:48 in this video (caution has a man defecating, although you can't see anything rude).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFQtAhH2B_c

It's блин, literally "pancake".

It's a minced oath for блядь (literally "whore"), a Russian swear word.

• Thank you, I don't know any Russian but the evidence suggests you are completely right :) en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BD – Paul May 30 '20 at 16:23
    Блин is more crêpe than pancake. Pancakes are usually thicker than блины. – user31264 May 31 '20 at 0:54
    @user31264 depends on who’s cooking. Either way, both are called “блин” in Russian. – Alexander Revo May 31 '20 at 8:56
  • @user31264 That completely depends on where you are. What you're describing are called pancakes in the UK, for example. – Asteroids With Wings May 31 '20 at 15:09
  • In English, it is more specific than pancake or crêpe - the loanword is blini. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blini – Jacob Krall May 31 '20 at 16:04

I'm native russian. I think, "bleen" is less rude word than "blyat". It sounds more like "shit", "fuck", "damn it". We use "bleen" in our informal speech, and it's OK. No one will shame you, if you use it. Another thing with "blyat". We don't use it often, especially with strangers. It's prohibited in formal communication and is considered as bad word in everyday speech. You can easily shock your friends if you use it without any emotional need, i.e. if you aren't in humor, or something really bad has happened.

• @Wilson - It depends upon who, to whom, and at what circumstances. The worst cases are if it is addressed to the police and other authorities. All the cases and the exact articles of the Russian law are enumerated in this article, in Russian. – Yellow Sky Jun 3 '20 at 14:11
  • @Wilson - 'блин' isn't a rude word at all. It's more like 'dude' - we don't use it in formal communication, but you'll haven't any problems if you use it in everyday speech. I cannot imagine the situation, where you can be shamed for this. Maybe you shouldn't use it in a library or in another cultural place. Definitely you will not use it on the Oscar ceremony. But again, for everyday speech it's okay. – Daniel Bibik Jun 9 '20 at 4:25
  • The level of offensiveness of "блин" may be close to that of "damn it", or maybe lower, "darn it". But the other two English swear words you cite are among the rudest words in the language. I think there is a confusion among Russian speakers stemming from the fact that differing cultural rules about where such language is tolerated mean that when American films are dubbed these "unprintable" words are replaced with mild swear words or even non swear words. Perhaps that is why on 95 Квартал they bleep milder Russian swear words but use English "sailor talk" unbleeped in comedy routines. – David42 Jun 25 '20 at 18:59

Bleen (Блин) - not swear word. Translate as "Pancake". But have a second meaning - the annoyance that something did not work out

Blyat (Блядь) - Translate as "Whore". And it also has the same meaning as "Блин"

You will gain a deeper understanding of Russian swear words by trying to translate the lyrics Ленинград - Непросто

Gosh, some people say bleen when they understand that someone else can hear them and they don't want to swear aloud. But since words sound similar and bleen is just a "crêpe" / "pancake", while the other word means "slut", you kinda slide into lighter version of this sudden swearing. Bleen is allowed on TV (though not appreciated because associated with uneducated speaker) and "blyad'" is forbidden.

I would never translate "bleen" as "bloody hell" though. It's just an "oh, crap!".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.