I'm trying to learn the lyrics and meaning of a song in russian (Мой друг - лучше всех играет блюз) and the first line is Поднят ворот, both unfamiliar words to me. A translation I found put them as meaning "his collar is raised", but it seems to me that Поднят ворот would mean the gate is raised. Is that a correct translation? If so, is ворот the word you would ordinarily use to mean collar?

As a side note, the title of the song "Мой друг - лучше всех играет блюз": is that "my freind, the best of all play the blues", or "my freind is the best blues player of all"?

Thanks if anyone can help me out with this.

Have you considered looking it up in a dictionary or something? – mustaccio Jun 12 '20 at 13:04
    To be exact, it's "my friend plays blues best of all." – Yellow Sky Jun 12 '20 at 18:42
    Ворот if in nominative case doesn't mean the gates, that's ворота; though in a context of mechanical devices ворот could mean a rotational mechanism (поворотный механизм) that raises the bridge or opens the gates. But here we have more like clothing/garment context though and @YellowSky comment below on the difference between воротник and ворот is a good answer. – DK. Jun 14 '20 at 10:32

Someone on reddit cleared it up for me. ворот is an abreiviation of воротник which means collar.

Ворот is not an abbreviation, it's a full noun, воротник is just another noun formed from ворот with the help of the word-building suffix -ник with various meanings, here it adds practically no new elements of meaning to ворот, maybe a shade of diminutiveness, 'little collar'. – Yellow Sky Jun 12 '20 at 15:04
  • "Ворот" is very rarely used nowadays in the meaning of "воротник". However, you should be able to find it in any dictionary. – Alexander Jun 12 '20 at 17:14
    @Alexander - Technically, воротник and ворот are partial synonyms and can mean different things, especially for a tailor. Every shirt has ворот (the part around the neck), but not every shirt has воротник (a piece of cloth attached to the shirt around the neck). A typical T-shirt has ворот but doesn't have воротник. – Yellow Sky Jun 12 '20 at 18:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.