Is it grammatical to have multiple который clauses within a single sentence?

For example, if I have an English sentence like:

"I read a book that my friend recommended to me called 'Life'"

My instinct would be to write something like:

Я прочитал книгу, которую мой друг мне рекомендовал, которая называется "Жизнь".

Is this type of sentence allowed in Russian?

I often want to add multiple clarifying clauses, but I haven't come across examples using two который clauses in the wild yet.

"Вот два петуха, которые будят того пастуха, который бранится с коровницей строгою, которая доит корову безрогую, лягнувшую старого пса без хвоста, который за шиворот треплет кота, который пугает и ловит синицу, которая часто ворует пшеницу, которая в тёмном чулане хранится в доме, который построил Джек."
    – Headcrab
    Jun 25, 2020 at 13:36
  • Hah that's awesome! I googled where that's from -- looks like it's time to watch "дом который построил джек"
    – xgord
    Jun 25, 2020 at 14:19
    @Headcrab: both который in the op's question refer to the book, it's not a chain like in the poem
    – Quassnoi
    Jun 25, 2020 at 14:28
    @Quassnoi OK, how about this: "... кота, который пугает и ловит синицу, который умеет косплеить куницу, который весною играет в "Зарницу", который с ружьём охраняет границу..." - all the "который" are about the cat, but it still feels sort of legit.
    – Headcrab
    Jun 27, 2020 at 8:46
  • @Headcrab: rhymes and repetition are like sugar, they dumb down your taste of language. The original boils down to пёс, который треплет кота, который ловит синицу. Who is catching the bird, the dog or the cat? It kinda seems obvious in a long repetitive series, but that's the series which make it obvious, not the grammar. Your example кот, который ловит синицу, который играет в Зарницу has the same structure but the gender mismatch makes in unequivocal.
    – Quassnoi
    Jun 27, 2020 at 22:07

2 Answers 2

"I read a book that my friend recommended to me called 'Life'"

Я прочитал книгу, которую мой друг мне рекомендовал, которая называется "Жизнь"

Well, it is grammatically correct, but it sounds a bit awkward. A translator would have avoided the overuse of subordinate clauses.

Я прочитал книгу под названием «Жизнь», которую порекомендовал друг.

По совету друга я прочитал книгу, которая называется «Жизнь».

По совету друга я прочитал книгу (под названием) «Жизнь»

Well, no police is going to come for you in this particular situation in Russia — there's no language police to speak of after all, but these kinds of combinations are highly unlikely in Russian without using "и", so it would sound more natural as:

Я прочитал книгу, которую мой друг мне рекомендовал и которая называется "Жизнь".

Still, even with this syntax it sounds slightly, I don't know... bookish compared to something like:

Я прочитал книгу, которую мой друг мне рекомендовал, [она] "Жизнь" называется.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.