I'm looking for someone to help me understand an exchange I had on Instagram. I studied Russian about 13 years ago and have been trying to practice recently. I followed some Instagram accounts for dogs in Russia.

Edit: Note I'm not talking about a dog. It was in reference to pictures of dinner.

The exchange

Me: "это выглядит аппетитно"

Them :"спасибо, а вы у нас кто?"

Me : "Я никто"

Them :"ну и ладненько"

Me: "Извенинте. Я здесь толко для того, чтобы посмотреть на таксу."

Them: "Оставайтесь инкогнито"

инкогнито looks like a transliteration of incognito from English but in English, this basically only means to remain in secret. Is this in reference to not saying who I was?

• Please note that while the meaning is the same, pronunciation slightly differs: in Russian, stress falls on the first O, not on the last I as in English. – Ivan Milyakov Jul 27 '20 at 4:51

Russian инкогнито means pretty much the same as English "incognito": "concealing one's real identity".

It's not a transliteration of the English word: both words have been borrowed independently.

Оставайтесь инкогнито literally means "stay incognito", implying "OK, don't disclose your real identity if you don't want to".

• Thanks, how do you get your font like that btw? – user14825 Jul 24 '20 at 20:23
    @RyanHowe: it's italic, enclose the word in single underscores or asterisks: _инкогнито_ or *инкогнито* – Quassnoi Jul 24 '20 at 20:27

This looks like a straight out of dictionary question.

incognito - "with the real identity concealed"

Me : "Я никто" / "I am noboby"

Them: "Оставайтесь инкогнито" / "[So] Stay nobody"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy