What is the difference between в тишине and в тишину? I know the first one is the prepositional singular of тишина, and the second is the accusative singular of тишина, but I don't really understand the different use cases.

This question arose from the lyrics from a song, specifically: Она на полупальцах в тишину. Here I would have thought it should be в тишине? Or is it because she is moving towards silence, as opposed to in it?

Your guess is correct. "В тишине" is being in a silence, while "в тишину" is a poetic expression (and you will hardly encounter it in a colloquial conversation, as well as «на полупальцах» by the way)- she went away into the silence. For instance, "он сидел в темноте и думал" - he was sitting in a dark place, while "он ушёл в темноту" - he went away into the darkness.

• В чём? - В тишине.
  • Куда? - В тишину.

Regardless of whether the expression is used in a poetic sense or not, asking the above questions will help you define the correct spelling or reading of the written words

Hi and welcome to Russian.SE! We prefer longer, more thorough questions and answers here on this site. Two-liners like this are not really helpful, especially for a person who seems to be aware about the Russian cases. Could you please expand your answer a little bit? Thanks!
    – Quassnoi
    Aug 26 '20 at 0:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.