Why is the angle grinder ("угловая шлифовальная машина") called "болгарка"?

2 Answers 2


From Wikipedia:

Русское разговорное название этого инструмента — «болгарка» — возникло в СССР в 1970-х годах, когда здесь появились первые его образцы, выпущенные именно в Болгарии[3], на предприятии «Спарки Элтос» под торговой маркой «Eltos» в городе Ловеч[4]. Сейчас слово «болгарка» можно встретить даже на ценниках в магазинах. Иначе как в странах бывшего Советского Союза такое название этого инструмента нигде не употребляется[5]. В Болгарии же УШМ называется «русская».

  • 3
    fun fact - the English swear word "bugger" derived from Bulgar as well - but of course for completely different reasons - en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bugger
    – shabunc
    Sep 21, 2020 at 10:22
  • 1
    @shabunc as well as "vulgar"... a lot older word derived from the same ethnonym.
    – fraxinus
    Oct 5, 2020 at 20:05
  • 1
    "В Болгарии же УШМ называется «русская»" => plain wrong. "Ъглошлайф" or "флекс" in Bulgarian.
    – fraxinus
    Oct 5, 2020 at 20:09
  • @fraxinus: Это к тому, насколько можно доверять произвольным интернет-источникам, включая Википедию.
    – ゑ01
    Oct 6, 2020 at 5:51
  • 1
    @0xC0000022L exactly. "Шлайф" is an established German loanword in Bulgarian with exactly the same meaning. "Ъгъл" is bulgarian for "угол" and in fact quite similar even to the English "angle".
    – fraxinus
    Oct 26, 2020 at 19:53

I heard or read (I don't remember now) it comes from word "burglar" because angle grinder is good for cutting metal doors, bars and so on.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.