Why "черника", "брусника", "голубика", "костяника", "клубника" and "земляника" all finish on "-ика" or even "-ника"?

• downvoted since it's a very strange thing to ask to be honest. – shabunc Oct 3 '20 at 12:45
    Because langualge is mostly logical and likes to give similar names to similar things? – Sergey Slepov Oct 3 '20 at 16:39
  • From the Proto-Indo-European suffix -ik- (compare Veronica, America, swastika, Mathematica etc) – Anixx Oct 9 '20 at 16:23

The suffix -ик- is fairly common amongst Slavic languages. Wiktionary has a great explanation for its usage in Proto-Slavic and its descendants: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstruction:Proto-Slavic/-ica

Proto-Slavic is a reconstructed language, so keep that in mind.

The main working theory among linguists is that the names of berries satisfy the meaning 4: carrier of a property. As such черника is a berry that is black (черный) while земляника is a berry that grows close to the ground (земля). Голубика is blue (голубой), and I presume that костяника has a large stone inside (I have no idea—I've never eaten it :)).

Here's what happened - you've chosen a subset of berries to prove some hypothesis which actually doesn't hold true if you care to have a bigger set. True, -ника is very productive when it comes to berries, however here's (incomplete) list of other berries:

• облепиха
  • черёмуха
  • малина
  • черноплодка
  • вишня
  • черешня
  • чёрная и красная смородина
  • клюква
  • морошка
  • рябина
  • крыжовник

Those are, of course, berries in a non-scientific sense (as far as I remember "малина" strictly speaking is not a berry, just like as "земляника" by the way) - but people percept them as such.

Now imagine someone coming up with a question why name of the berries end with "-ка" or "-ха" (or, "-ня", whatever) in Russian.

But the question wasn't "why all berries end like that"; rather: why so many do. There must be something typical and productive about -ика, and this can have a valid answer. – Zeus Oct 5 '20 at 2:17
  • Also, арония, кизил... – Anixx Oct 9 '20 at 16:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.