Referring to the title of the song by IOWA, what does it mean? I understood it literally as "I got sick with you" or "I made you sick", but I think I'm missing something.

Love is a sickness
    – V.V.
    Oct 25, 2020 at 10:58

3 Answers 3

This might be not the best translation but it was my first association with the song you quoted: "I'm mad about you". Besides, it's just a nice song.

"Я заболела тобой" is a Russian idiom which literally means: "I fell in love with you". Moreover the meaning is about female love: you can see the last "а" letter in word "заболела". If a man sang such words in any song it would be "заболел" (without last one "a").

Thank you. Can you show some other examples or sources to prove this is a common idiom?
    – Isa
    Oct 31, 2020 at 9:53
    Here is an amateur poem about love in Russian, where this speech turnover is used zen.yandex.ru/media/id/5d48241723371c00afdcbe1a/…
    – Aleksei V.
    Oct 31, 2020 at 17:40
    As you can see its title is "Я болен" ("I'm sick"). And you can think of it is equal to "Я заболел" - I have some kind of illness. But then in the poem he speaks about love at all, so love is the very disease, roughly speaking - "Заболел тобой давно..." - I love you for a long time.
    – Aleksei V.
    Oct 31, 2020 at 17:52
    @I. Hasanov ru.m.wikisource.org/wiki/…
    – Elena
    Nov 2, 2020 at 21:22

It's idiom meaning fell in love (especially woman's love)

I think the roots of this idiom is in verses of Russian poetess Marina Tsvetaeva

Here's the text (in Russian) written in 1915.

Verses become famous after a well-known movie The Irony of Fate - here's song from that movie

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.