Театральные подмостки

Для таких, как мы, бродяг,

Свежеструга(н, нн)ые доски,

Занавески на гвоздях.

This portion of 1991 Russian song («Бродячие артисты») made me think of Н-НН orthography of Russian adjectives and participles again. Such complicate rules! The question is, must we write свежеструганые or свежеструганные? Also, is this an adjective or a passive participle? If possible, can you please provide the specific rule which would explain why have you chosen a single or a double Н for the suffix.

1991??? It's 1980-ies or even earlier. – Abakan Dec 15 '20 at 22:20
  • 1985 – Alexander Dec 15 '20 at 22:23

You asked for rules, so here come rules. Specifically, I am referencing the "Правила русской орфографии и пунктуации. Полный академический справочник" (my translation: "Rules of Russian orthography and punctuation. Full academic manual": Правила русской орфографии и пунктуации. Полный академический справочник / Под ред. В.В. Лопатина. — М: Эксмо, 2009. - 480 с.) in its 2009 edition.

But first...

1. What is the base form of the word?

It is свежеструган(н)ый.

1. Is this an irregular word?

No. Unfortunately, there is no easy way out.

1. This is a compound word where свеж- is an additional root stacked on top of another word. Here is where the rules come in:

§99. В словах с приставкой не-, в сложных словах и в некоторых сочетаниях-повторах формы причастий и прилагательных пишутся так же, как в отдельном (без приставки и не в составе сложного слова или сочетания-повтора) употреблении, т.е. по правилам §98.

With the important part being loosely translated to

§99. In compound words, forms of participles and adjectives are written in the same way, as in a simple usage, i.e., as stated in §98.

So we can move on to analyzing the word струган(н)ый instead.

1. So what does §98 state?

Well, the word does not end with −ованный/−ёванный/−еванный, it is not formed from a perfective (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH PERFECT) verb, so it leaves us with §98.3:

Причастия не на −ованный (−ёванный, −еванный) глаголов несовершенного вида (они образуются только от бесприставочных глаголов) и соотносительные с ними прилагательные пишутся по-разному: причастия с нн, прилагательные — с одним н.

Or

Participles not ending with −ованный (−ёванный, −еванный) of imperfective verbs (they are formed only from prefixless verbs) and correlative adjectives are written differently: participles with нн, adjectives with a singular н.

So the choice is down to what part of speech it is. And this is the tricky part: in this case, the same form can be an adjective or a participle, depending on the context.

Thankfully, since you have a full sentence, we do have that context. Specifically, §98.3 has a note:

Примечание. Как видно из примеров, причастие опознается по наличию зависимых слов. Бывают, однако, редкие случаи, когда зависимое слово не является признаком причастия.

Or

Note: as you can see from examples (yeah, I didn't mention a whole paragraph of examples in 98.3), the participle is identified by the presence of dependencies. There are, however, some rare cases when the dependent word is not a sign of the participle.

Well, thankfully, in your example, the word has no dependent words, so it is an adjective, so we can finally tell that it has a singular -н-: свежеструганый, or rather свежеструганые.

I bet you thought this would be the end of it? Nope!

So I checked a couple of sources, and what do you know, things are even more complicated.

First of all, you'll notice that most search engines will be really adamant that you have made a typo. In fact, all of my spell-checkers are going crazy: "this word must be written with two н's!"

Wiktionary will yell at you:

Такое написание слова ошибочно! Вы, возможно, имели в виду свежеструганный?

But then I found it: Russian Orthographic Dictionary under editorial supervision of V.Lopatin (В. В. Лопатин Русский орфографический словарь: около 180 000 слов. О.Е. Иванова, В.В. Лопатин (отв. ред.), И.В. Нечаева, Л.К. Чельцова. / Российская академия наук; Институт русского языка им. В.В. Виноградова. — Москва, 2004. 2-е изд., испр. и доп. — М.: 2007.) has an entry:

свежеструганый свежестр'уганый и свежестр'оганый

(there is an alternative form spelled with an о)

This dictionary is published under Vinogradov's Institute of Russian Language, a subsidiary of the Russian Academy of Sciences, so it is as official as we are going to get. Even the rules that I am using come from a book by the same people. It even references this dictionary in the preface:

Наиболее полным нормативным словарем является в настоящее время академический «Русский орфографический словарь».

The fullest standard dictionary nowadays is the academic "Russian orthographic dictionary".

Also, just to be sure, I also checked Google's Ngram viewer: Usage of свежеструганый and свежеструганный plotted by Google Books Ngram Viewer

Alternatively:

Usage of свежеструганые and свежеструганные plotted by Google Books Ngram Viewer

So both forms are clearly present in similar quantities in real texts. But recently, there has been a sharp drop off for seemingly no good reason (other than a mistake being propagated through the interwebs).

So there you have it: the word is spelled with a single -н- and if you use it like this, no one will ever believe you are right :D

• lately (last 10-15 years) issues official dictionaries and school textbooks give impression that authors weren't well-versed themselves... I heard of two н version from there – Swift Dec 20 '20 at 15:40

Конечно, свежеструганые. Отглагольное прилагательное, без зависимых слов и прочих фишек.

Две -н- было бы с приставкой, сравните: свежеструганые — свежевыструганные (приставка вы-).

It's an adjective because something can be свежеструган(н)ым and it's not a participle because there is no such verb свежестругать.

Let's look at the rules for adjectives:

В сложных прилагательных типа малохоженый, новоявленный количество Н определяется правописанием отглагольного прилагательного, например:

• свежемороженый от мороженый ← морозить (НСВ) – одна Н,

• свежезамороженный от замороженный ← заморозить (СВ) – две Н.

Одна Н пишется в прилагательных, образованных от бесприставочных глаголов несовершенного вида без зависимых слов, потому что при наличии зависимых слов это уже не прилагательные, а причастия, которые в полной форме следует писать только с двумя Н.

source

The verb стругать fits these criteria (imperfective, no dependent words).

So it must be свежеструганый (one Н).

@Heagon, I would argue that свежеструганый cannot take dependencies. It would be incorrect to say, e.g. *свежеструганные плотником Васей доски. Can you think of any dependencies that would sound ok? – Sergey Slepov Dec 16 '20 at 11:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.