From Wikipedia:

Using the dot and cross products, the vector v can be decomposed into components parallel and perpendicular to the axis k, where the component parallel to k is called the vector projection of v on k, and the component perpendicular to k is called the vector rejection of v from k.

"Vector projection" is проекция вектора v на k in Russian, but I've never heard the term "vector rejection" before, neither in English nor in Russian.

Is there an established Russian term for it?

  • 2
    Я б сказал проекция к нормали k и честно говоря ничего другого в данном контексте не слышал. – shabunc Dec 28 '20 at 22:52
  • 5
    I reject the idea of using “rejection” like that in math in English. Please do not try to create a Russian analogue of that ridiculous terminology. Follow the suggestion of shabunc. – KCd Dec 29 '20 at 2:41
  • I have never heard vector rejection used in mathematics. – Oбжорoв Jan 1 at 14:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.