From Wikipedia:

Using the dot and cross products, the vector v can be decomposed into components parallel and perpendicular to the axis k, where the component parallel to k is called the vector projection of v on k, and the component perpendicular to k is called the vector rejection of v from k.

"Vector projection" is проекция вектора v на k in Russian, but I've never heard the term "vector rejection" before, neither in English nor in Russian.

Is there an established Russian term for it?

Я б сказал проекция к нормали k и честно говоря ничего другого в данном контексте не слышал. – shabunc Dec 28 '20 at 22:52
    I reject the idea of using “rejection” like that in math in English. Please do not try to create a Russian analogue of that ridiculous terminology. Follow the suggestion of shabunc. – KCd Dec 29 '20 at 2:41
  • I have never heard vector rejection used in mathematics. – Oбжорoв Jan 1 at 14:52

It can be translated as "вертикальная компонента вектора v" but only in context of projection.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.