Why do we say пойти в спальню and пойти на кухню why not пойти в кухню?

It is some kind of archaism. Like in English language the difference between in school (inside the building) and at school (studying). I think historically "на кухню" was some kind of professional use of kitchen (the same way in Russian you can meet "он работает На радио, она - диктор НА телевидении"). Sometimes you should just remember: "НА хуторе", but "В деревне", but idiomatically "первый парень НА деревне" (it doesn't mean in village, it means among people in this village).

There are also ways of using these prepositions in cant discourses. I.e. "пойти на хату" means "to go home", "войти в хату" means (in a thieves' cant) "to enter a cell", "прыгнуть в кухню" means "to enter a kitchen", "я на магазине" conveys the idea of my being "in a shop" as well as "by a shop". "У меня в кухне завелась мышь" = "У меня на кухне завелась мышь".

When there is the idea of application of professional activities the preference would be for "на кухне": Я работаю в ресторане на кухне (I work at the kitchen in a restaurant).

You just need to remember this form. Also: "на балкон", "на почту".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.