I just wrote this sentence for a Russian essay (for reference it's from Tolstoy's story Filippok, the tl;dr being that a boy who is considered too young to go to school by his teachers and parents learns the alphabet from his brother):

Его желание учиться и настойчивость вопреки мнениям своей семьи и своего сообщества вели к тому, что он постучает в школу в раннем возрасте, научившись читать и писать с помощью своего брата.

Two questions:

1. Is it grammatically correct? Does it make sense? This is the first time I've written a sense of this length or complexity (about 6 months ago I was writing Это я. И это Тим. Привет, Тим! etc and I just wanted to make sure I was on the right path).

2. Is the use of вопреки + dative to mean 'despite' the correct sense, even though the dictionary provided also несмотря на, and наперекор, I chose this one, mostly because the examples the dictionary gave for вопреки seemed closest to what I needed.

Big thanks for any help provided:)

Его желание учиться и настойчивость вопреки мнениям своей семьи и своего сообщества(сообщество is too formal in this context, you might meant друзья и знакомые or окружение) вели(incorrect time form, you should use привели) к тому, что он постучает(probably this is a typo, the correct one is поступает) в школу в раннем возрасте, научившись читать и писать с помощью(this is correct but благодаря is more suitable here) своего брата.

So the correct varaint is

Его желание учиться и настойчивость вопреки мнению своей семьи и своего окружения привели к тому, что он поступает в школу в раннем возрасте, научившись читать и писать благодаря своему брату.

1. Yes, that make a sense but постучает и вели are incorrect
  2. Yes, it is
  • Thanks so much - exactly the answer I was looking for
    – ermatveit
    Aug 14 at 11:45
    @Elena спасибо, что заметили ошибки в склонении, изменю свой ответ
    – mihett05
    Aug 14 at 12:11
    1. I don't think you can use своей/своего here like this, его is not an agent in this sentence. 2. There is a tense mismatch between привели and поступает: it's either привели к тому, что он поступил or приводят к тому, что он поступает.
    – Quassnoi
    Aug 14 at 14:49
    "вели(incorrect time form, you should use привели) " - it's not necessarily. Depends on whether you want to emphasize the result or the process. Aug 14 at 20:13

I'll add something to the answer by @mihett05:

Его желание учиться и настойчивость вопреки мнениям своей семьи и своего сообщества

Свой can only refer to the agent in a sentence. In your sentence, the agent is желание и настойчивость, they don't have the family. You can just omit it.

The clause with вопреки should immediately precede or follow the verb clause: желание, вопреки мнению, учиться or желание учиться вопреки мнению.

привели к тому, что он поступает в школу в раннем возрасте

There is an aspect mismatch. Поступает is an imperfective verb describing a completed, non-recurring action. Since the verbs describing the cause and the effect both describe a completed action, it is stylistically better to put them in the same aspect: привели к тому, что он поступил or приводят к тому, что он поступает.

Его настойчивость и желание учиться вопреки мнению семьи и общества привели к тому, что он поступил в школу в раннем возрасте, научившись читать и писать благодаря своему брату.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.