I'm trying to find Russian equivalents for the following interjections/expressions:

• "Don't!" (when we very much don't want someone to do something)
  • "No!" (to express dismay)
  • "That's enough." (warning someone that they are about to cross the line)
  • "You see..." (encouraging someone to listen & understand)

You see, city guys like you aren't real welcome around here

Online translation tools are not very helpful with this sort of thing. Any input appreciated.

This question was closed earlier because I didn't provide evidence of prior research. I AM trying to learn Russian and am not trying to "cheat". I have completed a couple of extensive online Russian courses, but nothing in those courses covers this topic. I've also extensively researched Russian slang, but cannot find Russian equivalents for these interjections.

Two more that I'm having difficulty with:

• "now" (eg. Now I'm not here to lecture you, only to tell you a story.) I'm guessing that "сейчас" or "теперь" would not function the same way here.
  • "I mean..." (eg. What about notes? I mean, the scientist must have kept notes on his research.). Would 'Я имею в виду' convey the same meaning here? To me it sounds too wordy.
    As you know, we do not translate words separately, but in a certain context. Would you mind at least provide sentences? Even in a sentence there might be variations.
    – V.V.
    Aug 27 at 6:49
    "I mean..." - you can use the cognat - "я мню", "мню я", "мнится мне" :) This is somewhat archaic and funny a bit, but it's literally the cognate. This particular “мнится мне” have a some ironic connotation of uncertainty or ostentatious uncertainty. And of course - "я думаю", "думаю", "полагаю", "я полагаю". Aug 29 at 8:44
  • " "now" (eg. Now I'm not here to lecture you, only to tell you a story.) I'm guessing that "сейчас" or "теперь" would not function the same way here." - "Сейчас" could be here. Why not. But not the "теперь" exactly here. "теперь я тут не для того" is a crooked sentence, but it "теперь" can be use in "теперь я расскажу вам историю". Well, "так," . :) Aug 29 at 8:54
  • "now" - also "итак" :) Aug 29 at 9:47

You see, city guys like you aren't real welcome around here

This does not translate to a set expression. This could be понимаешь or такое дело

Такое дело, городским типа тебя тут не особо рады.

Now I'm not here to lecture you, only to tell you a story

This does not translate to a single set expression either. You could use короче or в общем, or just omit it altogether.

В общем, морали я тебе читать не буду, а только расскажу случай из жизни.

What about notes? I mean, the scientist must have kept notes on his research

In this context, this most probably would translate as я к тому.

А что насчёт протоколов? Я к тому, что должен же был учёный вести протокол исследования.

• "You see" can be "Видишь", "Now" isn't a "в общем"- it's not an 'at all" or "in general"... "Итак," will be better; "I mean" isn't an "я к тому", stylistically at least... Aug 29 at 9:47
  • In many (but not all) cases this "now" can be translated with "тут": "Я тут вам не собираюсь лекции читать". (Incidentally, this "тут" is not to translate "here" in this sentence).
    – Zeus
    Aug 31 at 0:51

"Don't!" - "Cтой !", "Прекрати !", "Не надо !", "Нельзя!", "Стоп!", any forbidding verb or ardverb... https://youtu.be/eutO6SAA4Ys :> in this novell of Lem("The Inquest") this subject was the object of a court judicature... :>

"No!" (to express dismay) - Нет ! Не !... Не-не-не !
which "dismay" here ?

""That's enough." - Хватит! Достаточно ! Остановитесь ! Прекрати ! Этого достаточно... этого хватит... с гаком хватит :>

"You see..." - Ты видишь... Видишь... Видите - ... Видити ли, ... "As we see" - Как видно, Видно что, Как я вижу, Как мы видим,... ...

i think you have a mistake in the last example. "you see..." has nothing to do with the verb "смотреть" in this context. It should translate like "понимаете, понимаешь". I see = я понимаю (понял)
    – Dmitry
    Aug 27 at 11:12
  • Dmitry, Я вижу ~= Я понимаю. "Видити ли" = Понимаете ли ? " in this context." - which context for "You see" here, in your opinion ? At all, "see" = "видеть/смотреть' in any contexts... :> Aug 27 at 11:21
    TS mentions the value: "encouraging someone to listen & understand"
    – Dmitry
    Aug 27 at 11:25
  • Dmitry, кароче, дело к ночи... "encouraging someone to listen & understand" - подобная эвфимистическая фраза и означает побуждение, подобное нашему мягкому побуждению к пониманию "Видишь... видите ли..." Это не совсем то же, что "You must see"... если такое бывает, в любом случае у нас бывает - "ты должен видеть"... Но разница лишь в этой мягкости, но не в сути; видеть (ментально) тут и означает - понимать. О чем вы толкуете тут ? Aug 27 at 11:29
  • relax, just indicate the context. For me it is clear
    – Dmitry
    Aug 27 at 11:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.