I'm new to Russian language and I was wondering since Literal translation of да ладно doesn't mean "are you kidding" or "no way", I guess it should have some sort of irony like "no shit".
Could anyone explain the correct approach toward this meaning?

• «"no shit" - Not at all» — Yes: «Да ладно!» it's more likely as «shit no»:)
    – Егор Сальков
    Sep 10 at 20:20
  • Тематика форума не соответствует подобным вопросам. Желательно, чтобы русский сленг объясняли носители английского языка, хорошо адаптированные в русскоязычной среде (а это не наш вариант). Или хотя бы приводили примеры из соответствующих литературных источников и словарей. В противном случае истинность приводимых соответствий сложно проверить. Также должно быть соблюдено соответствие стилей. Вопрос подходит для другого форума, и об этом уже говорилось.
    – Sharon
    Sep 11 at 3:59
  • «(а это не наш вариант)» — who are these «you» to whom this option does not apply?:) Sep 11 at 10:58
  • Sharon, "Желательно, чтобы русский сленг объясняли носители английского языка," - что вы вообще городите ? :> Sep 12 at 1:49
  • in this case a full version will : да ладно тебе врать , f.e. ; - stop your lie. "да ладно" here (or for example - да ладно тебе грустить) - is "stop". i think, more deeply this "ладно" here mean reaching a good condition, limit, an ideal - like as just ладно = ok. See also "ладный, лад, ладить, ладушка" :) Sep 12 at 1:54

Мне кажется, здесь можно обозначить два варианта.

1. Да ладно! (Ладно ли, правда ли это?) Это удивление, недоверие к словам собеседника, иногда действительное (не может быть!), а иногда ироническое (хорош сочинять!).

2. Да ладно тебе! (Хватит, достаточно тебе что-либо делать). Здесь спектр значений самый широкий и зависит от ситуации: хватит сочинять, прикидываться, расстраиваться, обижаться, благодарить и т.д.

Перевод:

It seems to me that there are two options here.

Come on! (Is this exactly the case? Is it true?) This is surprise, distrust of the words of the interlocutor. Sometimes real (it can't be!), and sometimes ironic (it's good to compose!).

Oh, come on! (That's enough, it's enough for you to do something). Here the range of meanings is the widest and depends on the situation: stop composing, pretending, getting upset, being offended, thanking, etc.

«Да ладно!» — this is the answer to the words of the interlocutor, with which the respondent strongly disagrees, so these words are pronounced with great emphasis. I think this is an abbreviated phrase Да ладно тебе (= You don't need to, You shouldn't, don't have to — this is an old construction) шутить! (= joke, be kidding!). «Да ладно!» is a very good expression, I use it a lot myself :)

I remembered that there is an exclamation «Shoot!» аs an expression of surprise or disappointment in the English language, and this is also a suitable translation of «Да ладно!» (although the English expression is clearly not a reference to an old speech, but simply a more socially acceptable replacement for the exclamation «Shit!»).

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.