Here's a passage from "The Karamazov Brothers":

Несмотря на то что семейство даже довольно скоро примирилось с событием

Pevear translates: 'though her family EVEN accepted the situation', while Terras says 'Although the family ACTUALLY accepted the event'.

Which is more accurate: ACTUALLY or EVEN?

• Please clarify your specific problem or provide additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it's hard to tell exactly what you're asking.
    – Community Bot
    Sep 25 at 14:48
  • Could you please give a link to the earlier thread and add the relevant information from the thread to your question? Thanks!
    – Quassnoi
    Sep 25 at 16:13
  • I can't imagine how I could be any more specific: I quoted the exact text of 2 versions of a translation that I am trying to choose between! I already included the relevant information from earlier thread, but here it is: russian.stackexchange.com/questions/20450/… Sep 25 at 22:50
  • @BillRandolph: please include the phrase you're trying to translate. It's impossible to tell which translation is more accurate without seeing the original. Thank you!
    – Quassnoi
    Sep 26 at 12:22
  • While it might seem like bad form to expect others to look up the original, maybe OP is not able to do this. Since I'm feeling generous: Несмотря на то что семейство даже довольно скоро примирилось с событием is corresponding phrase.
    – Passerby
    Sep 26 at 23:55

The set phrases очень даже and довольно даже convey the element of contradicting the expectations, similar to the English word "too":

— Вы же ее не продаете. ― А вот и не угадали. Очень даже продаю // "But you're not selling it." "You guessed wrong. I'm selling it, too".

― Тебе, может, и не праздник, а я очень даже рад, что ты на свет появилась. // "It might not be a special day for you, but I'm glad, too, that you came into this world"

Ведь и он, как другие, постоял, постоял да и пошел ― и довольно даже свободно вошел… // But he, like the others, stood there for some time and then just went, and entered quite freely, too.

— Безобразенъ? — Нѣтъ, нельзя сказать, довольно даже интересенъ. // Is he ugly? No, you can't say that, he's quite personable, too.

The phrase довольно даже has fallen out of usage in the last hundred years, and also, Dostoyevsky has swapped the word order in it. But it's the same set phrase, so you cannot analyze it and translate just the word "даже" in isolation.

I would translate it this way:

Even though the family came to terms with the situation, quite soon, too

• Очень даже is stll in use and is not similar to "too". Otherwise it is OK only you should attribute the quotes properly.
    – markvs
    Oct 27 at 16:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.