Someone told me that in Russian slang, people ask each other: Kак дела? (How are you?), to which the obvious answer is Хорошо (Good).
But there's another word that starts with "x" and means the opposite (It may be a slur. I think it means "sh*t," but I can't remember the word), so when when someone asks you "как дела?", you can respond with the slang phrase: Буква Х (Letter X).

These are my questions:

Is this legitimate slang, and if so, is it correct? What's the other word that starts with "x" that means the opposite of "xорошо"?

Thanks!

3 Answers 3

It's a cliché joke.

— Как дела? — На букву "х", но не "хорошо" // "How are you?" "It's an f-word... and I don't mean 'fine.'"

In Russian, we have the slang swear word хуёво, which means "bad", and which, like хорошо "well", also starts with the letter х.

The word is too ubiquitous to be called 'slang'. It's just an obscenity. Jan 7 at 17:43
  • The Х word is one of the cornerstones of Russian мат. Jan 11 at 23:27

http://atkritka.com/221817/

Well, the classic (usual) answer is a bit milder.

— Как дела? — Спасибо, на букву "х"(хрено́во).

The former (pre-20th century) name of the letter X was хѣръ. This word currently means penis. Похерить means to break: иди нахер means go to hell. Херово means bad.

The etymology goes as follows: Initially, there was a more obscene, taboo word, хуй, with the same meaning, but later people started using the name of the letter as a euphemism for that word, which, by association, also became obscene.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.