Today, due to the tragic death of Amanda Asay, I learned the English term, "tree well", which is (quote from wikipedia):

A tree well, also known as a spruce trap, is the space around a tree under its branches that does not get the same amount of snow as the surrounding open space. This creates a void or area of loose snow below the branches and around the trunk that is dangerous...

Since I've never in my life done anything close to skiing, snowboarding or snowmobiling, I googled what this term would be in Russian and came across the following phrases: "корневой колодец", "стволовой колодец", and "конус под елью".

None of them seems to be a convincingly common term, so the question is: What's the most common and widely accepted term for the phenomenon described in English as "tree well"?

• Not only I do not know a translation, but also I'm entirely not familiar with the concept. Maybe the difference in weather/seasons or vegetation lead to absence of tree wells across Russia?
    – alamar
    Jan 13 at 10:09
  • Looks like it's very relevant for mountain skiing, and is a known problem. But it's not that of an issue on the plains perhaps.
    – alamar
    Jan 13 at 10:12
    На “снежный колодец” (в кавычках) Гугл дает 1 730 обнаружений, и еще 350 на "снежные колодцы", на все остальное – единицы, так что “снежный колодец”, похоже, самый распространенный вариант.
    – Yellow Sky
    Jan 13 at 15:04

1 Answer 1

I believe most of the Russian speakers don't know the term "колодец дерева", and thus won't understand what it's about. For reliability, you need to translate in 5-15 words. Something like this (or even in more detail): "они сидели под кроной дерева, в небольшом углублении из снега".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.