Besides Русь, which has stressed endings in the genitive, dative and prepositional cases (Руси́) and stem stressed instrumental (Ру́сью), are there other soft-sign feminine geographical proper nouns having this declension stress pattern?

Besides Русь, I've found only Обь, Пермь and Тверь. Are there others?

• Why they necessarily should be geographical?
    – shabunc
    Jan 16 at 17:46
  • Because the declension stress patterns for third declination geographical proper nouns are poorly explained in grammars such as Terence Wade's.
    – MrDudulex
    Jan 16 at 19:19
    @MrDudulex: I'm not aware of any declension pattern which would only work for toponyms. This particular one also works for степь, ось, грудь, глушь and a couple of dialectal words. Third declension is particularly tricky because its nouns readily change even gender, not to mention stress pattern, but it happens with toponyms and non-toponyms alike
    – Quassnoi
    Jan 16 at 22:29
  • plus one to what @Quassnoi says - I'm not sure that in this particular case there's anything toponym-specific.
    – shabunc
    Jan 17 at 9:07
    Кемь ........ ...... Jan 17 at 17:53

2 Answers 2

Wiktionary search is a little bit weird, and the categorization is not ideal.

But if you enter these two queries:

they'll come back with these toponyms: Обь, Омь, Пермь, Русь, Томь, Кемь, Керчь, Тверь

• It seems people tend to say Запорожской Сечи́ in genitive. But this is most likely a new trend.
    – il--ya
    Jan 20 at 7:23

This search in Zalizniak's Grammatical Dictionary also gives Кеть, besides those already mentioned.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.