Here's a title I've found in today's news: "Крымские чиновники получили от 3 до 6 лет колонии".

The thing is that actually the officials mentioned in crime chronicles are from russian city of Krymsk, not from Crimea.

So, the question is - while producing toponymical adjective, can I avoid this disambiguation, can I use something else instead of "крымский"?

Maybe «Крымскские чиновники»? :) But on a more serious note, I frankly can't think of a proper way to distinguish the two. – Aleks G Aug 21 '13 at 11:50

You may use phrases like "Чиновники Крымска получили...".

Unfortunately, it is even more tempting to set the missing quantifier to "all" (instead of the intended "some") in this construct than in the original one. If I were the newspaper editor, I would just say "В Крымске городские чиновники получили...". It is still somewhat more ambiguous than the precise "Несколько чиновников города Крымска" but good enough for a newspaper headline. I have no idea how to get away with a single toponymic adjective though. – fedja Aug 21 '13 at 12:50
  • Helas, it looks like this is the only case available. Thank you ) – shabunc Aug 22 '13 at 5:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.