Размышлять подобным образом значит исключать из их числа таких исторических личностей как Бендамор и Контратий.

What case should I use here? Accusative or Genitive?

Different cases should be used depending of whether you are want to exclude persons, or to exclude persons from the list of persons. Исключать из чего? - из числа личностей: "Исключать из числа таких личностЕЙ". Исключать что? - личности: "Исключать такие личностИ". – Artemix Sep 3 '13 at 9:21
  • @Artemix "Исключать что? - личности: "Исключать такие личностИ"" - The thing is, the question "Исключать кого?" would also be possible and absolutely correct in this case. If so, then "Исключать такИХ личностЕЙ" would also be correct. – brilliant Sep 24 '13 at 0:31

What case should I use here? Accusative or Genitive?

You should without doubt use accusative here, but I think you intended to ask whether личность is animate or not in this context (in other words, whether to use кого? or что? in accusative).

I believe this passage from Rosenthal (153.5):

Слово лицо в значении «человек» употребляется во множественном числе как существительное одушевленное, например: наградить отдельных лиц.

would apply to личность as well, so your example is correct.

Update:

From Yeskova's Краткий словарь трудностей русского языка:

enter image description here

• care to explain the downvote? – Quassnoi Sep 19 '13 at 21:01
  • Лицо and личность differ here. Наградить отдельных личностей is ungrammatical or sarcasmic, imitates uneducated speech. – Anixx Sep 19 '13 at 21:02
    @Anixx: there are lots of examples in the corpus which tell otherwise: Я бы подобных личностей к аспирантуре не подпускала, Они подстерегают в основном самостоятельных личностей, решивших совершенствовать себя без помощи инструктора and other. – Quassnoi Sep 19 '13 at 21:33
  • first example seemingly sarcasmic (I think, the word "личностей" even can be put in quotes here), second example looks unnatural(or like a 19th century speech) to me. – Anixx Sep 19 '13 at 21:41
  • @Anixx: do я бы подобные личности к аспирантуре не подпускала or они подстерегают самостоятельные личности seem natural to you? – Quassnoi Sep 19 '13 at 21:44

Indeed исключать is a transitive verb that requires accusitive.

личность in accusative plural is личности (see morpher.ru)

My variant:

Размышлять подобным образом - значит исключать из их числа такие исторические личности, как Бендамор и Контратий.

Using genitive with личность instead of accusative (only in plural) sounds very informal and not like an obvious grammatical error. It is also most often used jokingly. I was able to google another usage of genitive with this word where accusative is supposed to be used: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/User_talk:Dart_evader

Сорри, Дарт. Вы, конечно, правы - не надо увековечивать тут подобных личностей :-)

So by using genitive here we kind of express sarcasm. It's no longer someone famous, but someone who pretends to be famous. Hope this helps.

Update (some more examples):

http://www.uralskweek.kz/2013/09/02/shkolnik-iz-uralska-sozdal-socialnuyu-set/

собираемся приглашать знаменитых и интересных личностей

No sarcasm here, why not accusative? It's informal speach and the word is used in a different meaning (person, not personality).

I can't find a real example of accusative plural on the Internet. Need a different kind of search engine. But here is a more or less realistic example of my own:

В юности он старательно изучал личности Берии и Сталина, стараясь в чём-то даже походить на них.    
  • Are you sure that Nevermind intentionally used genitive to express sarcasm? Looks like an error or typo for me. – default locale Sep 3 '13 at 10:24
  • Yes, I'm pretty sure. His usage was intuitive though. :) My conclusions about sarcasm are based on my own experience as a native speaker and some linguistic background. I found this meaning in the explanatory dictionary: efremova.info/word/lichnosti.html So we may use it in plural to hint at someone, to offend, hurt one's pride. And hence sarcasm. – Vitaly Sazanovich Sep 3 '13 at 11:12
    I think Efremova's second case of личности is used in expression переходить на личности - "прямая критика личности или оскорбление оппонента" and not because genitive expresses sarcasm. – Artemix Sep 3 '13 at 13:11

It depends on what the author wanted to say. As of your variant, it is ungrammatical, but there are two possible corrections with different meaning:

Размышлять подобным образом значит исключать из их числа такие исторические личности как Бендамор и Контратий.

Размышлять подобным образом значит исключать их из числа таких исторических личностей как Бендамор и Контратий.

So if you swap "их" and "из" the sentence becomes fully grammatical, but the meaning is different.

• "As of your variant, it is ungrammatical" - As the recent update in Quassnoi's answer has shown, it is absolutely correct and grammatical. – brilliant Sep 24 '13 at 0:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.