Direct translation as "Взрыв" sounds extremely wrong when talking about neural bursting. Some neurons can fire a number of spikes (burst of spikes) in a short period of time, followed by a period of quiescence. This phenomenon is called bursting. I have trouble finding a proper translation for the term.

UPD: thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to resolve the confusion. I'm referring to a specific dynamical regime of a single neuron, which happens to be called "bursting", as described here: http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Bursting. It's different from the notion of an abstract abrupt increase in the (possibly collective) neural activity, which, I agree, can be nicely translated as "всплеск"/"вспышка".

It's "всплеск". – Yellow Sky Sep 14 '13 at 22:56
  • Thanks. Can you point to any sources that use this translation? I couldn't find any. And "всплеск" sounds a little like an abrupt increase in some graded quantity, not in the frequency of discreet events. I was thinking about something on the lines of "пакет". – dmytro Sep 14 '13 at 23:22
  • btw, Ukrainian translation is even more welcome – dmytro Sep 14 '13 at 23:27
    Очередь? As in "a burst from a machine gun"? – Dima Sep 15 '13 at 2:36
    В электротехнике это называется импульсной посылкой или серией импульсов. And in English -- the corresponding terms in electrical engineering are импульсная посылка or серия импульсов. – mustaccio Sep 16 '13 at 15:45

UPD: Proper equivalent for "bursting neuron" in Russian neuroscience is залповый нейрон (see here). It seems weird for me, but google finds some examples of such collocation.

Here is some examples that use Всплеск in the sense of "neuron activity burst":

Всплеск нейронной активности, как причина ярких «предсмертных видений» [1]

Более того, у активных мышей мозг проявлял все признаки контроля над реакциями, поскольку был зарегистрирован всплеск активности так называемых тормозящих нейронов, которые отвечают за контроль над легко возбудимыми нейронами, а также нейроны у этих мышей вырабатывали большее количество нейромедиатора гамма-аминомасляной кислоты (GABA), которая также снижает возбудимость нейронов. [2]

В ходе односекундного пения отдельные нейроны в HVC запускают лишь один короткий всплеск активности в определенной точке времени пения. [3]

The word Вспышка is acceptable too:

Так вот, при приступах катаплексии, как и в парадоксальном сне, у собак отмечались мощные вспышки активности этих нейронов! [4]

• Thanks. The only thing that bugs me is that all the examples above refer to an abstract burst in collective neuronal activity. It is valid in some sense, but doesn't point directly to the distinct, periodic dynamical regime of a single neuron, called "Bursting" (like described here: scholarpedia.org/article/Bursting). I'm gonna give this question another day or two and accept your answer if nothing more suitable pops up. – dmytro Sep 15 '13 at 11:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.