Does the sentence «Я тот же, но без тебя прежним не буду» ("I'm the same, but I won't be the same without you") sound natural with the words in that particular order?

Also, in this case it wouldn't be correct to use «тобой» and «таким», right? I'm trying to ask whether the following sentence is also correct or not and means the same thing: «Я тот же, но без тобой таким не буду».

1 Answer 1

Does the sentence «Я тот же, но без тебя прежним не буду» ("I'm the same, but I won't be the same without you") sound natural with the words in that particular order?

It does.

More literally, it means "I won't be the person I used to be", but that's just the difference between the idiomatic ways of putting it in the two languages. Yours is perfectly idiomatic.

Also, in this case it wouldn't be correct to use «тобой» and «таким», right? I'm trying to ask whether the following sentence is also correct or not and means the same thing: «Я тот же, но без тобой таким не буду».

No, it wouldn't. It's с тобой but без тебя. С (when meaning "with") governs the instrumental, без governs the genitive.

Also, такой means "such", it doesn't really work in this phrase. "The same" would be тот же ("the same person") or такой же ("the same kind of person"). Neither works better than прежний in this phrase.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.