I think this is a very interesting linguistic problem.

A teacher once proposed the following to her class: "Children, let's imagine for a minute that the Russian word "кречет" is a verb. What would its infinitive be?"

(Однажды учительница предложила классу задание: «Дети, давайте пофантазируем и всего на одну минутку представим себе, что слово "кречет" — это глагол. Какова его начальная форма (инфинитив)?»

[I could provide the source for this question, but I consider it a spoiler because it kind of contains the answer.]

2 Answers 2

It would be either *крекать (by analogy with кликать/кличет, тыкать/тычет, скакать/скачет or *кретать (by analogy with метать/мечет, рокотать/рокочет, прятать/прячет).

Кретать, by the way, is attested in Dahl's dictionary, but its actual declension pattern is not provided (it might as well have been *кретает). There also exists apparently related Serbo-Croatian word кретати, which gives креће in the present third person singular.

• Thanks, What about "кречь" or "кречать"?
    – Alexander
    Dec 18, 2023 at 20:14
    @Alexander: they would have given *кречёт, *крежёт, *крекает, *кречит or *кречает. Compare сечь, беречь, обречь, кричать, изучать.
    – Quassnoi
    Dec 18, 2023 at 20:48
  • In Serbian, "кретати" means "to move", and the conjugation paradigm is "кречем" (transcribed in Russian). Dec 18, 2023 at 21:30

Прямым аналогом было бы слово "мечет",
форма глагола "метать".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.