What's the difference between the two perfectives "cъездить" and "поездить"?

3 Answers 3

«Съездить» means one is going to get to a certain place by air, road, sea/river or rail, then come back.

a) intent or need or want

I need to get to my dacha. Мне надо съездить на дачу.

I'm going to go to London. Я собираюсь съездить в Лондон.

I am going to drive to the pharmacy. Я собираюсь съездить в аптеку.

I want to go to Lake Baikal. Я хочу съездить на озеро Байкал.

Regardless of whether one is going to go to a certain place by plane or boat, съездить is usually used.

b)past tense

Я съездил в Лондон/на дачу/в аптеку/озеро Байкал. This means I went to London/to a pharmacy/to the dacha/to Lake Baikal and came back.

«Поездить» means one is going to take their time and visit places, or take a road trip.

There's no certainty as to where exactly they're going or how long it's going to take.

a)intent or need or want

I'm going/want to travel the world/America. Я собираюсь/хочу поездить по миру/ по Америке.

I'm going/need/want to do some shopping. Я собираюсь/хочу/мне надо поездить по магазинам.

b)past tense

I traveled the world/America/did some shopping. Я поездил по миру/по Америке/по магазинам.

1. "Съездить" means "to go to a certain place and return". "Я съездил в Москву".
  2. "Поездить" means "to spend some time driving, traveling; to make several trips". "Я поездил по Москве".
  • Thank you very much! This is so helpful Commented Feb 17 at 14:35
  1. "Съездить по уху" means to hit someone on the side of the head.

2. "Поездить по ушам" means to give someone a lot of BS.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.