I've heard about this word

контрвзбзднуть

which has 9 consonants in a row. Obviously this word doesn't exist. Which real word(s) has the longest consonant cluster?

You just made my day with this word :)))) +1 – user259 Aug 2 '12 at 20:40

Let's face the truth: we're all from Stack Overflow here.

$ egrep '[бвгджзклмнпрстфхцчшщ]{6,}' lopatin.txt

адъюнктство, —а
попразднство, —а
предпразднство, —а
  • Why not include ь? – Armen Tsirunyan Jun 19 '12 at 12:49
    I'm not from Stack Overflow. :P – Alenanno Jun 19 '12 at 12:50
  • @Armen: it's not a consonant. Historically, it's a vowel, currently, it's a modifier. Including ь and ъ additionally yields фольксштурм (and derived words) and юрисконсультство. – Quassnoi Jun 19 '12 at 12:55
    @Alenanno: of course, but if we count sounds and not letters we should define what to count, and it's not that easy. There are several translations of William Blake's "Tiger" into Russian, one of them reads: Тигр, о тигр, светло горящий, and another one: Тигр, тигр, жгучий страх. The first reading forbids a schwa between the consonants, the second one requires it. – Quassnoi Jun 19 '12 at 14:04
    @texnic: {6,} means "six or more". – Quassnoi Jun 19 '12 at 14:07

With 5 consonants in a row, I'd say:

• контрпример, kontrprimer (counterexample).
  • контрпредложение, kontrpredlozhenie (counteroffer).
  • контрпривод, kontrprivod (countershaft).
  • контрприказ, kontrprikaz (countermand).

(taken from the dictionary)

Контрстрайк (Counter-Strike) has 6 consonants! Sorry, just kidding :) – Roman Yankovsky Jun 19 '12 at 12:39
  • @RomanYankovsky Uhm, we don't consider that a word, right? :D – Alenanno Jun 19 '12 at 12:41
    The corpus knows the word контрстратегия. – Quassnoi Jun 19 '12 at 12:48
  • @Alenanno sure :) – Roman Yankovsky Jun 19 '12 at 13:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.