That's it, specifically in the sentences:

не встать!

and

не вставать!

Are they exactly the same, what are the differences?

Встать and вставать are an aspectual pair (видовая пара) where встать is perfective and вставать is imperfective; otherwise their meaning is the same. Their past forms (singular masculine) are встал and вставал, their future forms (singular first person) are встану and буду вставать. In the present time, they are the same (встаю/встаём/встаёшь/встаёте/встаёт/встают).

Встать denotes a one-time action and вставать denotes a repeating action. For example, you can say "я вставал каждое утро", but not "я встал каждое утро", which is gramatically incorrect.

Sometimes, встать means a simple action, вставать means an action with internal structure. For instance, "надо встать" refers to a physical action of standing up or raising from the bed. "Надо вставать" means that one needs to get up, which takes time.

Some more examples:

• Waking up somebody, the correct verb is "вставай(те)", not "встань(те)", because a sleeping person cannot raise immediately, the process takes time.
  • But "Я встану завтра в 7 утра", "завтра мне надо встать в 7 утра" - because the process of getting up will/should be finished at 7. Similarly, "я вчера встал в 7 утра", because at 7am you already finished the process of getting up. "Я вчера вставал в 7 утра" means, if anything, that at 7am you were in bed making heroic efforts to get up.
  • When doing physical exercises, "встань(те)" (встали, встать) is the correct verb, because it refers to a physical movement.
  • When sitting in a train, "вставай, мы приехали" means that the train is at the destination station, and you ask the person to stand up, but before it he may put his book into the bag, for example. "Встань" in the train means that you want him to stand up immediately.

"Не вставать!" is an order prohibiting to stand up. "Не встать" is a phrase, not a sentence, meaning that it is impossible to stand up or get up (due to weariness, wounds, absence of space to stand up, etc.)

Also, there is a colloquial phrase "умереть, не встать" ("упасть, не встать", "не встать") which means "very funny", "LOLMAO"

• In present time (you probably mean 'in the present tense') they are not the same, встаю/встаём/встаёшь etc. are actually the forms of the imperfective, вставать. The forms of the perfective, встать, with the same present tense suffixes are встану/встанешь/встанет etc., they are used as the future tense. In other words, imperfective verb + present tense suffixes = present tense form of the verb; perfective verb + present tense suffixes = future tense form of the verb. – Yellow Sky Dec 2 '13 at 21:14
  • Not true. Встану - future perfective. Встаю - present, both perfective and imperfective. Буду вставать - future imperfective. Examples: "я встаю в данный момент" - "я встаю каждый день" - both are correct. – user31264 Dec 2 '13 at 21:15
  • Also, you write "встаю/встаём/встаёшь etc. are actually the forms of the imperfective, вставать". The forms of "вставать" (as opposite to встать) would be вставаю, вставаем etc. but there are no such words/forms in Russian. – user31264 Dec 2 '13 at 21:26
    In school, we were taught that perfective forms answer the question "что сделать?" (or a corresponding grammatical variation: "сделал/сделали/сделаю/сделаешь/..."), while imperfective ones, "что делать?" (or a variation, including future tense forms: "что буду/будешь/etc. делать?"). From that, the rule was simple: if the verb in the question has the "с-" prefix, then the verb we are examining is a perfective verb, otherwise an imperfective one. "Встаю" answers the question "что делаю?", and by that rule it's an imperfective verb. – Andriy M Dec 27 '13 at 12:08
    What on earth are you guys arguing about. It's clear to any 1st year student of Russian that вставать шы imperfective and yes the -ва- part disappears. And no there's no such thing as a perfective in the present. обрисовать--that's a different verb conjugation form, like советовать, итд. This is one case it's much easier for a foreigner to see what's going on. I can't believe the number of comments on something a student 3 months into a program of Russian could tell you :) – VCH250 Oct 25 '17 at 20:06

The difference between these two words is a usual difference between a pair of an imperfective (вставать) and a perfective (встать) verbs.

Besides, не встать! looks ungrammatical as imperative, perfective verbs are not used in negative (forbidding) imperative commands (the ! suggests you meant it to be imperative), although it is possible to use the phrase to express regret, then it means cannot stand/get up!

Не вставать! is a usual strongly forbidding imperative command, it means don't you stand/get up!

• Thank you. I had seen perfective aspects were generally made adding prefixes to the verb, so I wasn't identifying these two as them. Thank again, and yes, I was referring to the imperative form. – MyUserIsThis Dec 2 '13 at 19:34
  • Final question, Are those correct as imperative sentences, would one shouldn't use встава́й or вста́нь if using perfective form as you said? – MyUserIsThis Dec 2 '13 at 19:37
    Sorry, but I can't completely understand your final question, will you reformulate it? Встава́й! (imperfective) and вста́нь! (perfective) are both correct imperatives ("Stand/get up!") and mean almost the same, the difference is встава́й! can be used when speaking about regular, repeated, habitual action, like when you tell a person when she must usually get up: Вставай в 7 часов утра каждый день! ("Get up at 7 a.m. every day!"), вста́нь! can't be used in such cases, when a repeated action is implied. That's, probably, the only difference between those two imperatives. – Yellow Sky Dec 2 '13 at 20:18
  • See examples in my edited reply. – user31264 Dec 2 '13 at 21:16

To put it simpler, I will try to link both finitive and infinitive forms of a verb with tenses that you would use in English language. Notice that this probably applies to any of such a pair of words.

As a rule of thumb...

Continuous and Perfect Continuous tenses all would be translated through the useof imperfective form (вставать, делать). Such as "I am standing up right now!" ("Я встаю прямо сейчас!") or "I will be standing up when you come in." ("Я буду вставать, когда ты войдёшь."

All the Perfect tenses, as you would guess, are translated with the perfective form, "встать, сделать".

As for Simple (Indefinite) tenses, it is not that "simple". :) Present Indefinite I can clearly link to the imperfective form, I couldn't come up with any examples of the opposite. For example, ("I [wake up/leave my bed] at 7 a.m. every day.", "Я каждый день встаю в 7 утра"). With Past and Future Indefinite tenses you should check if you can substitute this tense for any other without losing the meaning. Let's call it "defining" an Indefinite tense. :)

For example, "I will do my homework". "Делать" or "сделать"? Let's "define" it! Perhaps, you can rephrase it in Continuous form? For example: "I will be doing my homework". Then use "Я буду делать домашнее задание". Can you use Perfect tense, for example, "I will have done my homework by Monday"? "Я сделаю домашнюю работу к понедельнику".

If you can, go ahead and use the instructions provided above.

If even this doesn't help, try to understand if the action itself is spoken about as finished or unfinished. It is very important.

Good luck with your learning.

не встать!

And

не вставать!

Probably the better answer here should sound on the Russian language, let me give you answer:

Не встать! - Например, "Эй Вась, Мне не встать!" - это означает, что не возможно подняться. Очень тяжело. Или угроза: "Тебе не встать!", это может означать, что условия будут такими, что встать ты не сможешь, имей это ввиду, даже не пытайся. Или как предупреждение.

В то время как "Не вставать!", это либо приказ, либо рекомендация. Т.е. то чего не стоит делать. "Нельзя вставать!". Здесь "НЕ" может быть без ошибки заменено словом "НЕЛЬЗЯ". Хотя, в предыдущем примере, тоже.

В тоже время, когда я увидел заголовок вопроса, я прочитал его совершенно иначе, я не видел слова "не", и восклицательного знака. Difference between вставать and встать - Разнится между двумя словами встать и вставать.

Встать: Я пытаюсь встать. Мне надо встать.

Или приказ: "Встать ! Смирно !" - Типичный приказ лежащим по званию ниже.

В то время как, "Вставать !", более мягкая форма, но далеко не просьба.

Я пытался вставать. Я пытаюсь вставать. Мне надо вставать. Более ленивая, и в тоже время абсолютно идентичная по смысле форма одного и того же выражения.

Приказ может звучать, абсолютно идентично по тону: "Вставать!"

Более короткая форма "Встать" - более резкая. Так всегда.

Are they exactly the same, what are the differences?

They are exactly the same. Differences only in shorter little bit more sharp.

But in your case. Не встать!, one person signal another or his group, that he can not.

Не вставать! - One person signal another or his group, that "they should not вставать!" Waiting for something, or something is detected, that is why, Stop ! Do not get up !

E.g. it can not be vice verse. One person can not signal group "Не встать!", to stop them from standing up. It will mean "I can not get up !". Or "Here, is not possible to standing up !".

And again "Не вставать !", can not be used to self. It is broadcast.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.