In American English we have the word 'snarky', meaning 'sharply critical; cutting; snide'. A Russian translator suggests the word элегантного, but this does not seem to have the same sense as the English word. How would this concept be expressed in Russian?

What about the following: Придирчивый, язвительный, ехидный, резкий в высказываниях, язва, or Сварливый?

  • 4
    There's probably no precise single word equivalent. All of your translations will do to some extent or another. Also едкий, колкий, желчный.
    – user248
    Jan 2, 2014 at 22:55
  • 2
    Here the translation "шикарный, элегантный" is marked as "slang".
    – Artemix
    Jan 3, 2014 at 4:29
  • 2
    A few more references: on-line dictionaries Академик и Lingvo. And another possible translations: ядовитый и саркастичный/саркастический. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:31

2 Answers 2


As already mentioned, there would probably no precise single word equivalent.

Yet another translation, which I think is very appropriate, is: "злобный; ехидный" (see yandex dictionaries).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.