I've seen many Russians write "на хуй", или "нахуй" altogether, although I'm 99 % sure it should be written separately. Why is it so often written altogether (because of the stress on на confusing them?) and is the spelling with a space the correct version?

• First of all correct spelling are на хуй and нахуй, there is no letter * is Russian alphabet. And yes, both spelling are correct since they stand for two different part of speech. – Dmitry Alexandrov Jan 4 '14 at 22:09
  • @DmitryAlexandrov I know * is not a letter, I just wanted to censor the word хуй. Nevertheless, when would you use the first one and when the latter? – AMDcze Jan 4 '14 at 22:29
    Please delete the question, it reduces respect to the site because the sentences are used by very uncultured persons. The sentences should be used in the speech only, it's not important how to write it. – sergzach Jan 5 '14 at 22:03
    @sergzach This is also a part of a language. I don't like this discussion as well, but in other languages (English for example) these words are listed in the dictionaries and no one pretends that they do not exist. – Artemix Jan 6 '14 at 8:17
    @Artemix This is a part of the spoken language, not a part of the written one. It's a very harmful tendention to use spoken language as written one - often, without any sense. The language has it's emotional aspect and if emotions so 'homely' then they should be expressed in spoken method only. – sergzach Jan 6 '14 at 9:48

Both spelling are correct since they stand for at least two different parts of speech.

Adverb нахуй should be spelled as a solid word like as any other adverb in Russian.

It may stand for ‘totally’, ‘entirely’.

Как ты заебала, заткни на́хуй свое ебало! (song by ‘Evil Not Alone’ band)

Or along with variant нахуя for ‘why’, ‘what for’.

На́хуй вы вообще приперлись? (trivial phrase)

Нахуя́ козе баян? (proverb)

A noun хуй with preposition на undoubtedly should be spelled separately regardless of what sense it used.

In the literal sense (хуй = penis):

Мой парень надел на хуй стаканчик и стал им болтать, чтобы получить звук трещетки... (random quote from google)

In the positive metaphorical sense:

И рыбку съесть, и на́ хуй сесть. (proverb)

In negative metaphorical sense:

Иди на́ хуй! (very common idiom)

Also it may be used as interjection:

Я попью а, нахуй, всё, пиздец, не могу больше. (‘Зеленый слоник’ movie)

I tend to think it should be spelled as one solid word but I can’t give any rationale now.

As for the causes for solid misspelling, I do not think they are in stress at на. Stress on preposition is still quite usual in Russian: лечь на́ пол, зайти за́ угол, взять работу на́ дом. It most likely by analogy to directional adverbs направо, налево, вперед, etc. There is sense it in. However, на хуй in иди на хуй is considered as noun with preposition by the most of competent people.

There is empirical rule: if you still can separate two parts of stable phrase by adding adjective or somehow else, then they are two separate words. You definitely can describe хуй:

Иди ты на большой и толстый хуй!

You can even omit it:

Иди ты на большой и толстый! (really in use)

Try to describe право or лево in направо / налево and you will feel the difference.

All of the above is also applicable to numerous euphemisms of хуй: на́ фиг / на́фиг (нафига́), на́ хрен / на́хрен (нахрена́), на́ хер / на́хер (нахера́).

I decided to add my answer since I completely disagree with the accepted answer (Dmitry). The expression should be written separately, this is grammatically correct form. If Dmitry could substantiate his answer, that would be interesting. The reference to the song can't be considered a legitimate proof of the expression correctness (and the song itself could be written incorrectly). I believe one word version is meant to be a part of "olbanskii ezyg".

• So you believe adverb in Russian may be written separately, don’t you? – Dmitry Alexandrov Jan 5 '14 at 15:50
  • @Dmitry Alexandrov No, I believe this expression has only one correct form. Why do you think it's an adverb? For example, you can add Russian b-word after every word in any statement, does this make it an adverb? And what about "ebtvoyumat'" - I wrote it without spaces according to your logic. – TT_ Jan 5 '14 at 16:29
    @DmitryAlexandrov - Adverbs really can be written separately in Russian: под мышкой, на корточках, без удержу, в открытую, etc. As for нахуй vs. на хуй there's an oppinion which is a bit different from your view expressed in your answer. – Yellow Sky Jan 5 '14 at 19:20
  • @DmitryAlexandrov - I'd like to note that I don't stick to either oppinion, and I'm eager to find out truth, or call it the actual state of things as for those two alternative spellings. – Yellow Sky Jan 5 '14 at 19:24
  • @YellowSky I began to think I have not expressed myself clearly because I do not notice any essential differences between my answer and article you refer (except for I was not sure how an interjection нахуй should be spelled, but anonymous Lurkmore author is quite sure that it’s solid word). – Dmitry Alexandrov Jan 5 '14 at 19:32

Следует улавливать тонкую грань в использовании вариантов «нахуй» и «на хуй». Существует наречие «нахуй». Оно имеет смысл «зачем»/«прочь». Также есть одноимённое междометие, которое используется просто в качестве связки слов в предложении. Надень шапку, нахуй, а то простудишься В отличие от наречия, «на хуй» надо понимать буквально. В любом случае, существует проверочное слово «в жопу». Если сомневаетесь, как грамотно написать деловое письмо, замените «на хуй» на «в жопу». Если смысл не изменился, то надо писать раздельно. А если «нахуй» можно безболезненно удалить из текста, то пишется слитно и выделяется, нахуй, запятыми.

http://lurkmore.to/%D0%9F%D0%9D%D0%A5

• +1 for "проверочное слово «в жопу»" :) – TT_ Dec 21 '18 at 17:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.