I tried to find closest word in English which means same as russian "понт" (not a geographical term, but a noun to "show off"), but failed. Is there any?

  • 4
    This is offtopic on this site. This site is for questions about Russian, not about English. Try to ask on english.stackexchange.com
    – Artemix
    Jan 9, 2014 at 8:06
  • 3
    I think this has something to do with precise translation, and it could be provided by some of russian-speakers who use English in practice. I doubt if I'm able to find these on english.stachexchange.com, but anyway posted a question there: english.stackexchange.com/questions/145238/… Jan 9, 2014 at 8:16
  • 1
    Have you tried to look here and here?
    – Artemix
    Jan 9, 2014 at 11:39
  • I think it's something that would have no exact translation as a single word. I would either restructure the sentence to describe the person who shows off (позёр) as a 'show-off', or just say "act of showing off".
    – v010dya
    Jan 9, 2014 at 11:48
  • 2
    I'm not sure, but maybe "swag"? Jan 9, 2014 at 12:12

1 Answer 1


It is a copy of my answer at http://english.stackexchange.com:

Some variants: bluff, flossing, airs, grandstanding, peacockery, lugs. Bells and whistles, dress-off (for russian word "понты" which has a slightly different meaning).

  • I don't think this was necessary to cross-post, since there are a lot of answers at English SE.
    – Artemix
    Jan 9, 2014 at 18:50
  • @Artemix I cross-posted my answer because this question was put on hold at English Language & Usage and I was afraid of its deletion. Sorry if it does not comply with the rules. Jan 9, 2014 at 19:00
  • Ironically, on both forums asking for right translation is considered as "off topic". I have no other comments. Jan 10, 2014 at 7:02
  • @AskarKalykov This is because on English L&U you have to describe what is the meaning of the word "понт" that it has in Russian (including all the expected connotations). You just posted the word itself. Your question there is like: "There is russian word X that is translated in English like Y. I don't like such translation." - since English speakers don't know Russian, they can just suggest synonyms of word Y which you already treated as wrong translation. So they can't help you in this case. If you want help from English native speakers you have to describe them what you want.
    – Artemix
    Jan 10, 2014 at 7:27
  • @Artemix I think it is too strange that this question is marked as off-topic at both sites. It appears that questions about translation from some language to English are inappropriate even if some_language.se site exists, doesn't it? Jan 11, 2014 at 10:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.