I wonder whether the following suffixes in fact the Latin borrowings?

-арь- as in вратарь, писарь, мытарь

-аль- as in брутальный, паяльный, читальный

ru.wikipedia agrees w.r.t. -арь, referencing Antoine Meillet Le slave commun:

*-arjь (суффикс профессии, отсюда рус. -арь) < прагерм. *-arjoz < лат. -arius

"Аль" is not a single suffix.

• There's '-л-' in words like пада-л-ь, бы-л-ь, порос-л-ь (it's a suffix signifying a phenomenon; some words with -аль are here)
  • then there's '-л-' in words like чита-л-ьня, вмести-л-ище (it's an interfix, i.e. has no semantic value of its own; some words with -аль- in them are in this category)
  • and then there are words like брутальный, лояльный, стерильный which are borrowed wholesale (many words with -аль-, this one is derived from Latin -alis)

There are other meanings of the -л- suffix, but these don't seem to produce any -аль- combinations.

| improve this answer | |
  • Do you mean паяльный, читальный, меняльный were wholesale borrowed? – Anixx Jan 20 '14 at 6:25
  • No, of course not. They belong to the second category. – n. 'pronouns' m. Jan 20 '14 at 9:08

Despite that Vasmer in fact ignores the words with “-арь” suffix, the comparison of terms having that suffix drops hints about it‘s latin roots:

-ārius m (f. -āria, n. -ārium)

See: псарь, свинарь, виноградарь, ключарь, чеботарь, ложкарь, штукарь, плугарь, пушкарь, косарь, кобзарь, библиотекарь, аптекарь, почтарь, корчмарь, волгарь (and it‘s derivative «болгар[ин]»), главарь, бунтарь, пескарь, словарь, букварь.

The etymology of “-аль” is more vague. In “дуальный” and “натуральный” it’s definitely derived from Latin “duālis”/“nātūrālis”:

-ālis m, f (n. -āle)

But there is as well “москаль”, which looks like awry “москарь”. And there are “планетарный”, “легендарный” etc which have no affiliation with humans (as proper “-arius“ do.)

Since “р” and “л” sound quite similar, I would suggest that both those suffices are originated to their latin analogues, but nowadays some of they migrate from one to another according to common rules of russian language.

| improve this answer | |
  • What does it mean "to drop hint"? Can you clarify, please? – Anixx Jan 13 '14 at 5:56
  • English also has "planetary", "legendary", so I suspect the suffix has Latin origin (-aris) – Anixx Jan 13 '14 at 5:59
  • “to drop hint” ≡ “to suggest,” I guess. AFAIK, there are no direct borrowings in russian from latin. Russian language mostly adopted Romano-Germanic terms (as well as Romanic from French.) And “r” and “l” are still quite similar (ask Nipponeses :-). The collision preventing me of claiming “-ar” suffix to be direct ancestor of “-ārius” is that “ārius” clearly indicates a person. – Aleksei Matiushkin Jan 13 '14 at 6:15
  • Note that the English for “планетарный” is "planetary" and for “легендарный” it's "legendary", also with R, which means it wasn't in Russian that those suffixes were added to those words. – Yellow Sky Jan 13 '14 at 9:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.