When learning a new word I like to see typical usage examples. The sort of thing you find in a good dictionary. However, even my big old Oxford Russian dictionary had nothing for вовлечь, for example, and in any case I can't carry that around with me.

I have tried searching ruscorpora.ru but it's hard to find examples that are simple enough for me to understand.

We're looking for long answers that provide some explanation and context. Don't just give a one-line answer; explain why your answer is right, ideally with citations. Answers that don't include explanations may be removed.

closed as not constructive by Alenanno Jul 29 '12 at 15:41

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

When I have troubles with English words usage, I just google them :) – Quassnoi Jun 23 '12 at 12:56
  • If you can't find simple enough examples elsewhere and are desperate, a good place to request simple realistic examples is the Russian Stackexchange! – Armen Tsirunyan Jun 23 '12 at 13:22
    @ArmenTsirunyan Очень крутой сайт! – z7sg Ѫ Jun 23 '12 at 13:36

Try searching at http://tatoeba.org/ - the examples are crowdsourced so you might come upon some inconsistencies every once in a while but it is still a formidable resource.

I wonder if they thought of a Russian section when picking the domain name... – Quassnoi Jun 23 '12 at 14:17
  • The site was initially Japanese-English only, hence the name (たとえば, tatoeba, 'for example') and the prevalence of Japanese base sentences from the extensive Tanaka corpus in their database, but they are quickly expanding other languages as well. – Philip Seyfi Jun 23 '12 at 17:50

First of all, try to go to Google or Yandex (yandex.ru is the biggest search engine in Russia).

Also, the site Master Russian has realistic example sentences for common Russian words.

The best place to find typical usage examples is National Russian Corpora - www. ruscorpora.ru or - in english http://ruscorpora.ru/en/index.html Mind that you can customize subcorpora ( if you need modern usage for example), or search collocations or grammatical patterns. You can also download results or see them in Key-word-in-context view.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.