If I want to write the word "n-th" (as in n-th solution, n-th derivative,...), is it more conventional to write n-ый/n-ая/n-ое or n-й/n-я/n-е, or are both styles equally common? In terms of pronunciation, is it always э́ный/э́ная/э́ное (e.g., someone who writes n-я wouldn't actually say that as э́ня)?

EDIT: I found out later that for every variable x it's acceptable to express "x-th" as "xтый" (e.g., m-ый = эмтый, n-ый = энтый, j-ый = житый, q-ый = кутый), and since this works in all cases while the ending -ный for n-ый doesn't apply to variables ending with a vowel sound, I'll use the -тый version.

While both written styles are grammatically correct, the more common one is

n-ый, -ая, -ое, -ые

In addition, you could see sometimes the n- part spelled out in Russian as:

энный, энная, энное, энные

The pronunciation in all cases would be

э́нный / э́нная / э́нное / э́нные

(Note the double н)

pronunciation э́ня is wrong and it's more than likely that people will not understand what you're referring to.

• +1 But what about энтый? Would you say it's incorrect? It is definitely common. – Armen Tsirunyan Jun 25 '12 at 16:42
  • Aleks G, thanks! Is n-ый declined exactly like частный with the root эн in place of the root част? – KCd Jun 25 '12 at 16:45
    @AleksG: Obviously I mean энтый meaning n-ый, similar to итый, катый, etc. Do you mean to say that you've never heard something like энтый член последовательности? – Armen Tsirunyan Jun 25 '12 at 17:03
    @AleksG: By the way, "n-th root" in the sense of algebra has to be translated as корень энной степени, never as энный корень, right? – KCd Jun 25 '12 at 17:46
    @KCd That's correct. – Karlson Jun 25 '12 at 18:44

The grammatically correct form is only n-й. Acoording to entrenched tradition accretion suffix must be one-letter if the last letter of numeral follows by vowel: 5-й день (пятый день), 25-я годовщина (двадцать пятая годовщина), в 14-м ряду (в четырнадцатом ряду). It must be two-letter if the last letter of numeral follows by consonant: 5-го дня (пятого дня), к 25-му студенту (к двадцать пятому студенту), из 14-го ряда (из четырнадцатого ряда). Spelling n-ый is incorrect, but widely used. Sad but true; it is common mistake. Accretion suffixes for variables also comply these rules.

• Thanks. So if the last two letters are xy then you write n-y if x is vowel and -xy if x is a consonant. – KCd Oct 31 '14 at 19:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.