What are the common inflection mistakes that Russian kids make as they progress in mastering their first language?

closed as not constructive by Armen Tsirunyan, Adam Lear Jul 4 '12 at 19:57

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

A male friend of mine used to talk as a female (saying я пошла, поела, etc.) until he was about three and a half years old, because his mother talked to him in Russian, and his father in Armenian, so he didn't know any better :)) – Armen Tsirunyan Jun 28 '12 at 0:12
    I feel this question is too open ended in its current form... I mean, any user could bring an example. Can we try to narrow it down? – Alenanno Jun 28 '12 at 0:17
  • @ArmenTsirunyan - HA HA! This is so hilarious! – brilliant Jun 28 '12 at 0:39
    This is not about Russian kids, but it's a funny error. A Russian language instructor in the US told me that she once had a student who, when speaking, could not clearly distinguish between он идёт and он идиот; when trying to say the first it came out sounding like the second. – KCd Jun 28 '12 at 4:31
  • @KCd HA HA HA!!!! :) – brilliant Jun 28 '12 at 4:32

It's typical of children (of Russian children, at least) to experiment with morphology. Korney Chukovsky wrote a book 'from 2 to 5' about his experience of childern from 2 to 5 understanding the undercurrent rules of Russian. It states such tendencies as

1. experimenting (- Дай другую логу! - логу instead of ложку. In fact, why not :) ? But we never say so, of course).
  2. creating one's own etymology: Паутина (cobweb) -> паукина (as it has a spider, or паук there).
  3. Widening the semantics: - Облака-то сняли! Сняли с неба облака! (we Russians don't 'take off' clouds from the sky).

I guess that's about it but the examples are fantastic! If you're interested in the book, you can find it on http://www.chukfamily.ru/Kornei/Prosa/Ot2do5/Ot2do5.htm. If you don't understand the Russian there, you can mail me to mari_belova@mail.ru. I've read the book and enjoyed it and I hope that you will enjoy it too!

In fact, as a linguist, I had lectures on children's language. So feel free to torture me with your curiosity :)))

• Are there any examples of wrong usage of declensions or mixing up the cases (genitive, dative, instrumental, and so on)? It would be interesting to have examples of this. – Giorgio Jun 28 '12 at 6:59
  • I'm sorry I failed to find such examples... Maybe kids don't mix cases much, they just imitate what they hear? – Мария Jul 2 '12 at 1:41
    I read somewhere that "лога" emerges because it is big from child's point of view, so it can't be "ложка". So does "скамейка", "кружка", "чашка" - "скамея", "кружа", "чаша", etc. – Artemix Aug 23 '13 at 9:04

My niece used to say "вчера" instead of "завтра".

• Time concept was hard for my 3-years old daughter. For example "yesterday" was everything in the past (even several months ago). – Artemix Aug 23 '13 at 9:09
  • @artemix, upvote the answer then – Trident D'Gao Aug 23 '13 at 14:18

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.