What endings should I choose when I am talking about quantities equal to 21 + 10n?

Вчера в ответ на свою статью получил аж тридцать одно сообщение. Думал, что все они будут о моей статье, но оказалось не так – из все(х/го) тридцать одн? прибывш(ий/их) сообщени(й/я) только перв(ое/ые) двадцать одн? был(о/и) по существу, остальные же можно было бы и не читать.

Судейская коллегия состояла из двадцать одн? суд(ей/ьи). Случай был уникальный. Впервые за всю историю нашего существования среди судей царило полное согласие. Все двадцать одн? присутствоваш(ий/ие) судь? был? абсолютно согласны друг с другом.

EDIT: added "прибывш(ий/их)" and "присутствоваш(ий/ие)" to my examples.

EDIT: placed "прибывш(ий/их)" and "присутствоваш(ий/ие)" right before the nouns that they are describing.

I do not know the rule, but this one sounds about right:

Вчера в ответ на свою статью получил аж тридцать одно сообщение. Думал, что все они будут о моей статье, но оказалось не так – из всех тридцати одного сообщения только первые двадцать одно были по существу, остальные же можно было бы и не читать.

Судейская коллегия состояла из двадцати одного судьи. Случай был уникальный. Впервые за всю историю нашего существования среди судей царило полное согласие. Все двадцать один судья были абсолютно согласны друг с другом.

The rules are different for the 10n part and for the 1 part of the numerals.

The 10n part changes in the same way it usually changes (for a proper description see here or your peferred grammar reference book).

The noun should be singular and in the case that matches its grammatical function in the sentence (e.g. nominative for the subject, accusative for the direct object, etc.)

The 1 part you need to put in the form that matches the case, the number and the gender of the following noun.

Here are 3 examples from your text:

1. Я получил тридцать одно сообщение
  2. Из тридцати одного сообщения только первые двадцать одно были по существу.
  3. Двадцать один судья были согласны друг с другом

In example 1., "сообщение" is of neutral gender and occupies the position of a direct object, which means it needs to be in the accusative case (that matches the form of the nominative case, since "сообщение" is inanimate).

In example 2., you get the genitive case with the preposition "из" and the nominative case for the subject.

In example 3., you get the nominative again, because the word "судья" is the subject.

In all examples, the nouns are in singular.

May I just note that your question looks like you're seeking someone to do a whole exercise for you. I believe that it is frown upon here and you shouldn't do it again.

• "May I just note that your question looks like you're seeking someone to do a whole exercise for you. I believe that it is frown upon here and you shouldn't do it again" - What exactly should I not do again? – brilliant Feb 24 '14 at 14:22
    I think she means don't ask about what seems like an entire exercise. (And, by the way, there is no such word as одн.) – KCd Feb 24 '14 at 15:40
  • @Kcd - Thanks, but I would want to hear an answer directly from her. – brilliant Feb 24 '14 at 17:00
  • @Kcd - "(And, by the way, there is no such word as одн.)" - Sure, but you do have such words like "одного" and "одних", though. I wrote "одн?", not "одн." – brilliant Feb 24 '14 at 17:10
    @brilliant Don't post an exercise and ask people to fill in the endings. Post a question and an example where you have problems. – Olga Feb 25 '14 at 7:17

Вчера в ответ на свою статью получил аж тридцать одно сообщение. Думал, что все они будут о моей статье, но оказалось не так – из всех прибывших тридцать одного сообщения только первые двадцать одно были по существу, остальные же можно было бы и не читать.

Судейская коллегия состояла из двадцать одного судьи. Случай был уникальный. Впервые за всю историю нашего существования среди судей царило полное согласие. Все присутствовашие двадцать один судья были абсолютно согласны друг с другом.

Желательно объяснить почему выбраны именно такие окончания. Это ведь не сайт правильных ответов на контрольные работы или тесты. – Artemix Feb 25 '14 at 10:37
    "из всех прибывших тридцать одного сообщения" - Why not "тридцати"? – brilliant Feb 26 '14 at 4:21
  • @brilliant looks like a copy/paste error to me. – Sergey Kalinichenko Mar 18 '14 at 18:17

I'd better workaround these constructions, as even as a native, I don't know how to write it correct, and either way I can imagine doesn't sound good. What seems to be grammatically correct is из всего тридцати одного прибывшего сообщения, только первое двадцать одно было... and Все двадцать один присутствоваший судья были.... But stylistically it still sounds bad. To tell what endings need to be used you need to disassemble the sentence. For example, let's do it with из все(х/го) тридцать одн? прибывш(ий/их) сообщени(й/я). First you take из тридцать одн? -> из тридцати + из одного = из тридцати одного next you add все(х/го). We have "one", so it will be всего, like in всего один. This far we have из всего тридцати одного прибывш(ий/их) сообщени(й/я) and again, we have this "one" thing (yeah, it is confusing), so we write прибывшего and сообщения

More stylistically nice would be something like:

Вчера в ответ на свою статью получил аж тридцать одно сообщение. Думал, что все они будут о моей статье, но оказалось не так – из всех прибывших сообщений только двадцать одно было по существу, остальные же можно было бы и не читать.

Судейская коллегия состояла из двадцати одного судьи. Случай был уникальный. Впервые за всю историю нашего существования среди судей царило полное согласие. Все присутствовашие судьи были абсолютно согласны друг с другом.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.