A task asked me to conjugate the verb писать in present tense and I thought it whould have these endings: я пишу, ты пишёшь, он/она пишёт, мы пишём, вы пишёте, они пишут

But I checked the wiktionary and it tells me it is conjugated this way: я пишу, ты пишeшь, он, она пишeт, мы пишeм, вы пишeте, они пишут

Why doesn't the e change to ё??? When ю changes to у?

Ё changes into non-stressed "е" after ш and ж. You get same result with лизать: Я лижу, ты лижешь, мы лижем. When the word is one-syllable, so it's obviously stressed, it remains Ё. Although I can think of only one example: ты лжёшь, вы лжёте

| improve this answer | |
    @SupEvan, would be great if you accepted (ticked) the answer besides saying "thanks". – petajamaja Mar 16 '14 at 14:28
    Here are two other examples similar to лгу: жгу and стригу (the word стригу has two syllables). – Yury Mar 18 '14 at 2:57

Endings of the so-called first conjugation have ё if they are under stress, otherwise they have е. One must learn where the endings are stressed and where they are not, although endings, not including the -у/-ю for first person singular, are either all stressed or all not stressed.

You cannot have ю after "shibilants" (ж, ч, ш, and щ) so you have to write у there. Not after shibilants ю is written if there is a palatalised (soft) consonant before it or if there is a vowel (in this case there actually is a jot, which is a soft consonant, but it is not written because *йу changes to ю).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.