Russian has diminutive form (уменьшительно-ласкательная форма) and augmentative form (увеличительно-усиливающая форма). For example: человечек and человечище. But how the middle, normal form is called (человек)?

  • I am not aware of any special term. I'd go for "neutral form" if I needed to refer to it. – Olga Mar 26 '14 at 16:25
  • 2
    And how is it called in English? – cha Mar 26 '14 at 23:28

"Middle, normal form" is called "начальная форма".

  • 1
    Человека (oblique case) is not diminutive or augmentative yet it is also not начальная форма. – jwalker May 16 '14 at 21:54
  • @jwalker No, it is. "начальная форма" doesn't mean that it is nominative. – nicael May 17 '14 at 4:47
  • What does it mean then? – jwalker May 17 '14 at 10:06
  • @jwalker Oh... Человека is genitive of Человек. Человек, Человека, Человеку, Человеком are all in "начальная форма". Человечек, Человечка, Человечку, Человечком - "уменьшительно-ласкательная форма". Человечище, Человечища, Человечищу, Человечищем - "увеличительно-усиливающая форма" – nicael May 17 '14 at 12:36
  • 1
    Well, I hoped for a definition. Here it is. – jwalker May 17 '14 at 15:29

As far as I know, it's "начальная форма". And in my understanding of how form names are formed, if there was some suffix (affix, postfix, or whatever) to make this neutral form, we would have some special word for it, but there is none. It's just the form from which you start and make any other form.


No special term is used. It's just normal form (нормальная форма), or initial form, base form of word.

  • No. Used. As you see. – nicael Apr 25 '14 at 14:40

I would call it "Стандартная форма."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.