I would like to know how to translate 'open-source' to Russian and also how to properly translate 'bug' as in, a software bug.

Also if you know any resources for technical dictionaries or terminology, I would appreciate the reference. Thank you

• I've seen "свободный доступ" in the same meaning. – user3784 Apr 24 '14 at 15:34

Открытое программное обеспечение

bug - in jargon it's баг, a proper translation would be "ошибка" (my guess)

Note that "debugger" would be "отладчик", but in jargon people say "debagger" :)

In 90% of cases, if not more, programmers would use transliterated English terms. This is what I usually hear at work:

open-source => опенсорс

bug => баг

debugger => дебаггер

In writing I would avoid using опенсорс and use программное обеспечение с открытым кодом. As regards the word баг, it is OK to use it in writing. I often see the word дебагер in writing (it is usually written with 1 letter г), though the use of отладчик is as common.

дебагер vs. отладчик is probably generational. Those who started programming during Soviet times will overwhelmingly use the latter in both spoken and written language, in my opinion. – Aksakal almost surely binary Apr 15 '14 at 17:38
  • @Aksakal I agree. In old books (published 10-20 years ago) I always see отладчик. But I think I have never heard отладчик at work, only дебаггер. – ovgolovin Apr 15 '14 at 19:04

I would say "ПО с открытым исходным кодом".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.