From wikipedia: The idiom "red herring" is used to refer to something that misleads or distracts from the relevant or important issue.

Is there literal translation or similar idiom?

• Are you referring to this idiom meaning in financial world? Like here: investopedia.com/terms/r/redherring.asp? If yes, then I think there are no exact Russian equivalent. – HEKTO Apr 18 '14 at 18:50
  • I think, it's:<br /> уловка <= adj.*<br /> сбить с толку <= *action – igoryonya Apr 30 '17 at 21:38

I don't think there a phrase in Russian with the exact same meaning as red herring. Depending on the context, you could use:

Отвлечение внимания
Отвлекающий аргумент
Отвлекающий манёвр
Ложная улика
Ложный манёвр

There is term копчёная сельдь, however I've never actually heard it in speech.

"Отвлекающий маневр" it's most commonly used phrase in this context... – Sergey Apr 16 '14 at 14:57
    @Sergey As I mentioned, it really depends on the context. Отвлекающий маневр refers to something that was done/presented on purpose. When it's more accidental, then ложная улика would be a better option. For example, you are trying to find out why your car doesn't start and you see a disconnected wire in the engine compartment. You start thinking that it's the reason - and are trying to figure out where it's supposed to go and why it's disconnected - and so on. Eventually, turns out that the car is not starting because it doesn't have petrol. The disconnected wire is the red herring. – Aleks G Apr 16 '14 at 15:07
    How about "(навести на) ложный след"? It seems somewhat related to the English idiom's alleged origins. – mustaccio Apr 16 '14 at 16:49
  • @AlexG Sorry but I think in russian society any thing related to crime/investigation like "улика" are very limited in context. Since I'm [bela]russian I will use "неверная предпосылка" rather then your "ложная улика"in this engine related example. – Sergey Apr 16 '14 at 21:39
    I agree with "ложный след" (false trail) being a very good option here. – Oleg Apr 17 '14 at 12:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.